What distinguishes great programmers?
Good programmers can write code that is error-free.
However, writing high-quality code alone is not enough to ensure success as a software programmer. It is essential to go beyond simply being an expert in a programming language or having a particular educational qualification.
While understanding code is the first step toward success for remote software developers, becoming a great programmer entails much more.
In this post, we’ll discuss five qualities that will help you become a great programmer and advance your career in remote software development.
Great programmers have a positive outlook on their work.
When compared to the traditional work model, working remotely has a plethora of advantages. Perhaps the most notable benefit is the ability to work from any location and at any time, which provides greater flexibility and freedom for employees.
However, with this added benefit comes increased responsibility.
A successful programmer exhibits a strong work ethic that is well-aligned with the team’s workflow. They maintain a positive attitude towards their projects and demonstrate appreciation for their colleagues.
Excellent programmers do not require constant supervision. They have the necessary skills and mindset to complete their tasks on time.
You must instill confidence in your superiors so that they will trust you with more than just your tasks.
If you discover a bug in a product, it is important to take a comprehensive approach to resolving the issue. Rather than simply addressing the immediate problem, it is important to take a step back and thoroughly investigate the issue from all angles. This should include determining where the bug originated from, what could have triggered it, if it is impacting any other software functions, how long it has existed, and the scope of its effect on the project. By taking a broad view of the issue, it is possible to ensure that the bug is adequately addressed.
By utilising an analytical approach, experienced remote software developers can utilise even seemingly small issues to gain valuable insights into the core principles of a project. This approach enables them to gain a greater understanding of the project, allowing them to make more informed decisions and potentially identify new solutions.
Excellent communication skills are required of great programmers.
A key attribute of successful software engineers is the ability to communicate effectively. This is essential for establishing themselves as valuable contributors to their team, particularly in the context of remote working. Good communication skills enable software engineers to become a fundamental part of highly productive virtual teams.
In today’s remote-first world, businesses anticipate that software developers will be the direct point of contact for their clients’ technical needs. It is often more advantageous for the developer to communicate directly with the client, as they are the ones best equipped to offer assistance.
Remote software developers should possess the ability to effectively and clearly articulate technical concepts to non-technical individuals in an understandable and straightforward way. This requires the ability to interpret and present technical information into terms that can be comprehended by people without a technical background.
Great programmers understand that effective communication positions them as trustworthy sources of information within the organisation.
Software development requires the application of both technical and creative thinking, as it can involve a high degree of complexity with multiple variables and intricate interrelationships. Such an undertaking calls for a highly skilled individual who is able to identify and assess the various components of the project in order to develop an effective and efficient solution. Great programmers are aware of this and understand the importance of taking a comprehensive and analytical approach in order to create a successful outcome.
Having the ability to effectively manage and organise one’s time is a crucial trait of any professional software engineer. This is because it takes time to accurately address technical issues, generate innovative solutions, and gain new knowledge. By carefully organising their time, software engineers can ensure that the work they produce is of the highest calibre.
Here are some time management tips for remote software developers to help them become better programmers:
- Make a plan. Have a plan, whether you’re embarking on a complex project or simply starting your day.
- Set priorities for important tasks. Complete your most difficult tasks first and save the simpler ones for later.
- Divide it into smaller pieces. If you have an extensive and intricate project to complete, it can be beneficial to break it down into smaller, individual tasks. This approach can make the project seem less intimidating and more manageable. By dividing the project into smaller, more achievable goals, you can more easily navigate the project and work towards its successful completion.
- Delegate. Delegate a task to someone you believe is more qualified to complete it. Also, ensure that your team members can rely on your expertise.
- Periods of upheaval. It is not uncommon for individuals to find themselves checking their emails or other forms of communication such as Slack when they are meant to be completing a task. Even though distractions are often unavoidable, it is possible to better manage one’s time by scheduling specific periods in which to check emails. This way, it is possible to avoid disruption to one’s workflow and increase productivity.
- Multitasking should be avoided. Many individuals take pride in their aptitude for multitasking; however, it is not always as effective as they may think. Research has shown that it takes at least fifteen minutes for one to refocus their mind when transitioning from one task to another. Thus, if one is in the habit of frequently switching between tasks, it can result in an extended period of time to complete the work.
- Self-discipline. Having an effective system of self-discipline is essential for becoming a successful programmer. It is important to take the time to plan out effective strategies for time management and acquiring new skills. Once you have established a system, it is best to stick to it and make sure to take the necessary steps to ensure you are following through with your plan.
Great programmers are open to criticism.
Highly competent programmers leverage feedback from clients and other software engineers to gain a comprehensive comprehension of how to refine their capabilities. This feedback can provide valuable insights into the areas of development that need improvement and can be used to identify any changes that can be made to enhance the overall performance.
Creating a welcoming environment where constructive feedback is welcomed is critical to improving your technical and soft skills.
It is of utmost importance to not only be receptive to feedback from your team, but also to be proactive in providing feedback to them. By doing so, you can help your team members to further develop and enhance their skills as remote developers.
Connect with other developers in your community.
Remote software developer communities are invaluable for professionals looking to stay up-to-date with the latest trends in the industry, collaborate on ideas, and build meaningful connections with peers. These communities provide a platform for developers to share their knowledge and expertise, problem-solve together, and access resources to hone their skills. Through such online forums, coders can network, expand their network, and gain invaluable insights into the world of coding.
Great programmers are always on the lookout for technological trends and have a habit of learning new things that will help them grow.
It is essential to find a developer community that can assist you in becoming an accomplished remote software developer. Joining a supportive network of individuals who share your goals and interests can provide you with the necessary resources to hone your skills and progress in your profession.
To summarise: What characteristics distinguish great remote software developers?
Working as a remote software developer is a lucrative career path. To become a successful remote developer, you must constantly challenge yourself.
To become a great programmer in a remote-first world, you must maintain your technical skills and cultivate the qualities discussed in this post.