The internet has transformed our lifestyle, granting us access to information and the ability to complete tasks with ease and speed, all through the simple click of a button. There is no doubt that the internet has revolutionised the way we conduct business by supporting remote working and providing us with worldwide connectivity. Nevertheless, despite the vast amounts of information available online, it can also be a hub for malicious individuals seeking to deceive.
There has been a steady rise in the proficiency of malicious groups infiltrating security networks, orchestrating cyber-attacks, and causing widespread disruption. As a result, numerous organizations now feel vulnerable and are taking measures to secure their operations.
The demand for cyber security professionals is on the rise, as a growing range of industries seek to recruit talented individuals. As a result, many students and engineers who have recently graduated are considering careers in cyber security. Although organizations are keen to fill cyber security positions, they may not be aware of the numerous job opportunities that are available, or the specific qualifications that are necessary. This blog post aims to provide a comprehensive reference guide to the leading remote cyber security jobs in 2023.
A Brief Overview of Cybersecurity
Cybersecurity, which belongs to the field of computer science, is dedicated to safeguarding computer networks, systems, and applications against malevolent threats such as ransomware and hacking. The objective of cybersecurity is to avert cyber-attacks and guarantee the safety of both government and commercial software applications.
Is Cybersecurity in High Demand?
Based on the available evidence, it is evident that cybersecurity is a pressing matter for both governmental bodies and commercial organizations in the present era, as data breaches have become a frequent occurrence. In fact, the report highlights that during the first nine months of 2023, there were data breaches that exposed a staggering 30 billion records. As a result, it is crucial that companies take the necessary steps to safeguard confidential information on the internet.
According to Cisco’s projections, there will be a substantial increase in malware operations and cyberattacks by 2023, with a rise of 350% and 430%, respectively. Additionally, the number of Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks is estimated to reach 15 million by the close of 2023, which is significantly higher than the current year’s figure of 4.5 million.
The financial ramifications of a cyber attack can be significant, leading to losses amounting to millions, or even billions, of dollars. These attacks often target highly sensitive information, such as designs, making it a risk that organizations are not willing to take, especially when it comes to the security of their finances and assets.
It is estimated that over 30,000 cyber attacks take place worldwide each day, and this number is predicted to increase. Accordingly, there is currently a high demand for cyber security specialists.
There is a common perception that hackers possess considerable expertise and can effortlessly overcome firewalls to gain access to sensitive data. Nevertheless, in a survey carried out by a group of cyber security experts and organizations, it was found that inadequate security measures and a lack of oversight were the leading causes of cyber attacks on healthcare organizations, governments, and businesses.
In light of this, companies are prioritizing the reinforcement of their cyber defenses and protecting themselves against cyber criminals and other online threats by hiring specialists in areas such as penetration testing, cloud security, and application security. Remote cyber security jobs offer several benefits, such as access to a wider pool of qualified specialists and the option to work from home positions part-time.
Current Employment Trends in the Cyber Security Industry
Given the surge in the number of cyber threats and the associated costs, companies are taking measures to safeguard themselves from cyber crime. Studies indicate that cybercrime is anticipated to reach a staggering $10.5 trillion by 2025, a significant increase from $6 trillion in 2023. This industry’s rapid expansion has resulted in the creation of millions of jobs worldwide, with 3.5 million vacancies reported in 2023, and this number is expected to grow exponentially in the years to come. Due to the dearth of skilled workforce, organizations looking to strengthen their security systems are turning to recruiting personnel for remote cyber security roles.
Businesses are increasingly turning to remote cyber security experts for their unparalleled skills. The growing number of remote workers, specifically in the field of cyber security, has paved the way for an increase in freelancing opportunities.
The Best Online Cyber Security Roles
The field of cyber security offers numerous career opportunities, and remote cyber security roles are becoming more desirable due to the pool of highly skilled applicants they attract. By securing these positions, organizations can guarantee effective responses to their security requirements, thereby reducing the potential risks associated with inadequately trained in-house teams.
Here are some work from home positions part-time careers that are currently in high demand and worth considering:
1. Cyber Security Incident Response Manager
In my role as a Senior Cyber Security Incident Response Manager, my primary responsibility is to detect and eradicate any cyber threats, investigate and eradicate cyber attacks, and oversee the entire operation. I am responsible for examining vulnerabilities and performing rigorous risk assessments to ensure that the organization is employing the most up-to-date cyber security technology and best practices. The cyber security team must establish a system to address any identified flaws to guarantee a comprehensive security system.
Essential Skills and Knowledge-
- Earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related program like Forensic Science.
- Proficiency in operating systems like Linux and Windows.
- Thorough understanding of networking in general, including the Internet Protocol Suite (IP stack), the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI), and related concepts.
- Hands-on experience with system monitoring technologies, including security information and event management (SIEM) systems.
- Thorough knowledge of cyber attack strategies and methodologies.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in written and spoken form.
- Strong collaborative skills.
2. Engineer for Application Security
Engineers for Application Security are accountable for safeguarding data inside software from unauthorized modification or access. They keep their security measures up-to-date to prevent malware attacks, which may involve installing crucial security patches. If they identify a vulnerability, they implement the appropriate patch and validate it to make sure it does not jeopardize any security protocols.
Required Skills and Knowledge –
- A bachelor’s degree in electronics, computer science, IT or a related field.
- Demonstrated performance in SDLC projects.
- Experience in penetration testing.
- Proficiency in securing websites and online applications.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in written and oral forms.
- Ability to analyze a situation and provide practical solutions.
- Proficiency in reading and comprehending computer code.
Crucial Cybersecurity Certifications-
- Certifications in relevant skills and environments.
3. Cloud Security Engineer
As a Cloud Security Engineer at Works, my role includes securing the company’s cloud platform by implementing effective measures to protect data, designing and testing new security protocols across multiple cloud platforms. Cloud security engineers play a crucial role in safeguarding the emerging technologies of the Internet of Things.
Required Skills and Knowledge –
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a relevant field with a focus on circuits.
- Proficiency in managing security of cloud platforms.
- Expertise in working with cloud platforms including Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, and others.
- Adept in promptly and efficiently resolving intricate problems.
- Excellent communication skills to articulate thoughts and ideas to others.
Essential Cybersecurity Certifications-
- Certifications encompass CISSP, GPCS, CCSK, GSEC, CSSP, and CISA.
4. Penetration Testing Equipment
A Penetration Tester is akin to an Ethical Hacker as both roles involve finding vulnerabilities in a company’s cybersecurity network by performing deliberate attacks. They collaborate with the organization to evaluate the security of their networks and firewall and present an extensive strategy to overcome any weaknesses that are detected. Professionals in the cybersecurity domain can utilize the recommendations provided to formulate better models.
Required Knowledge and Skills –
- A bachelor’s degree in any electronics-related field, including but not restricted to computer science and IT.
- Proficiency in using a diverse set of hacking tools and software.
- Familiarity with Linux, particularly Kali Linux, is advantageous for ethical exploitation objectives.
- Proficiency in constructing and executing security systems.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional coding skills.
- Spotting vulnerabilities in a security system and conveying them to stakeholders.
Significant Cybersecurity Certifications-
- GIAC, GPEN, CPT, GXPN, CPT, and CEPT.
5. Cybersecurity Analyst
Data Security Engineers are experts in safeguarding a company’s technological infrastructure. They collaborate with Cybersecurity professionals to identify possible software technology vulnerabilities and establish countermeasures and security protocols to maintain their security.
Required Knowledge and Skills –
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field with a focus on circuits.
- Expert in the field of data analysis.
- Proficient in working with databases and using SQL.
- Exceptional coding and debugging skills.
- Knowledgeable in application delivery protocols such as HTTPS, ICAP, and security measures like DNS and URL filtering.
- Familiarity with a range of encryption and tunneling protocols is beneficial, such as Public Key Infrastructure (PKI), Virtual Private Network (VPN), Transport Layer Security (TLS), and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
- Proficiency in the OSI model and network protocols.
- Ability to analyse situations and devise solutions.
- Adept at clear and effective written and verbal communication.
Key Cybersecurity Certifications-
6. Cybersecurity Analysts
Cybersecurity analysts conduct assessments on their clients’ systems to identify possible vulnerabilities. They prepare comprehensive reports on the results of these tests, as well as any other potential security risks, and utilize this information to create countermeasures. Their primary goal is to guarantee the secure integrity of all systems.
Essential Skills and Knowledge –
- Completed a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field with a focus on circuits.
- Robust analytical skills.
- Ability to understand how to infiltrate networks and defend them.
- Mastery of network security principles such as firewalls, IDPs, proxies, etc.
- Ability to think innovatively and devise solutions.
- Proficient in articulating oneself clearly and effectively through both written and verbal communication.
- Aptitude for analytical thinking and identifying possible vulnerabilities or threats.
Significant Cybersecurity Certifications-
- Certifications: CISSP, CRISC, CEH, CISA, and CySA.
Top Online Resources for Employment in Cybersecurity
At Works, our goal is to elevate your project to new heights by connecting you with the finest developers from around the globe who satisfy your specific requirements. We recognise the significance of security in businesses and strive to offer them the most exceptional professionals in the industry, freeing them up to concentrate on running their organizations. Furthermore, we are dedicated not only to linking businesses with top talent, but also to attracting the finest individuals worldwide to join our team.
At our new talent marketplace, we are constantly seeking qualified cybersecurity professionals to ensure the safety of our clients. We provide a pleasant work environment for our top-tier developers, empowering them to adjust to shifting priorities while meeting deadlines for delivering security solutions. As a remote company, we value your time and space on a regular basis, and we offer competitive compensation for your work. Thus, we believe that our company might be the ideal opportunity for those with the requisite skills to embark on a successful career in cybersecurity.
We provide a wide range of cybersecurity services, allowing you the flexibility to collaborate with us in any field you require.
- Managed detection and response (MDR) services.
- Protection for software.
- Security in the Cloud.
- Cyberspace analysis.
- Safeguarding of confidential information.
- Infiltration testing.
LinkedIn is a great resource for finding cybersecurity jobs both domestically and globally. With a vast array of opportunities to choose from, it serves as a convenient one-stop platform to explore and apply for positions. It’s worth noting, however, that due to the number of entries that firms may shortlist from, there may be a waiting period before receiving a response. To minimise the chance of your profile being overlooked, we suggest ensuring that your profile is current and accurately reflects your qualifications and experience. Overall, LinkedIn is the perfect online resource for discovering local and remote job opportunities.
As cyberattacks grow more frequent across all sectors, companies are investing in enterprise-level security solutions to safeguard their data, networks, and software. This has resulted in a heightened demand for security experts, resulting in a predicted influx of newcomers into this field in the following years. Freelance and remote employment will be essential for businesses looking to acquire the finest security measures and stay competitive in this period of cyberwarfare. There are multiple remote job opportunities in cybersecurity, offering aspiring professionals the chance to choose the subfield that piques their interest.