Having a brilliant concept for a practical app is a commendable aspiration, one which has the potential to improve people’s daily lives. Nonetheless, software development, specifically application development, is a multifaceted domain that demands extensive groundwork before commencing the undertaking, especially if the app is health-related.
This blog post will introduce a five-step plan for creating a health app, preceded by a discussion of essential factors to bear in mind. Let us begin!
An Outline of Five Fundamental Steps Required for Building a Health App
Developing a mobile app focused on health involves the same procedures as any other app, but with the inclusion of some distinct aspects. To demonstrate the complete process, here is a summary of what requires attention.
Identify Your Specialisation and Investigate Your Competitors
Given the multitude of diseases and lifestyles it may detect and track, it is crucial to have a definite understanding of the nature and objective of your intended medical industry app.
The effectiveness of a health app is reliant on selecting the appropriate audience, making it essential to identify the audience from the start. To gain insight into the market, review other comparable apps and determine if the proposed app is unique and advantageous enough for users to adopt it. If not, the app may not be engaging enough to be downloaded.
In order to target your desired audience, it is necessary to ascertain their identity.
When creating an app, emphasis should be placed on both the app’s functionality and the requirements of the intended user. Even if an app serves the same purpose, different people may have varying needs.
When deciding who will utilise your app and in what situations, it is crucial to recall the following:
- Addressing a broad age range in a quantitative manner
- The user’s medical knowledge level (professional vs. layperson).
- The most suitable posture for using the app (e.g., sitting, standing, one-handed, two-handed, etc.).
Additionally, conducting patient interviews may aid in identifying the specific requirements of individual patients.
All of these considerations will be important when determining how to construct a medical app and what features it should include.
Develop the App
Afterward, the purpose of the medical app should be determined. Conducting research can assist in making knowledgeable decisions about the app’s appearance and functionality. It is vital to have a straightforward and easy-to-use interface, as people may not be at ease with complexity, particularly when it concerns health issues. Furthermore, this is especially important when the intended audience includes individuals with disabilities.
It is important to confirm that your app adheres to all pertinent health guidelines in the areas where it will be used. If the app gathers personal information, it must comply with HIPAA regulations in the United States and the General Data Protection Regulation in the European Union.
Create a Valuable Product
During this phase, several concerns arise, with the most significant being the choice of development approach. Hybrid technologies enable developers to create an app for multiple operating systems simultaneously using the same codebase, while native technologies necessitate additional time and resources to be invested in the project. However, when it comes to real-time health monitoring, it may be advantageous to allocate the extra time and money to developing native code, as the performance loss is minimal compared to hybrid.
If you are curious about the expenses involved in developing a healthcare app, you are not alone. Likewise, many individuals inquire about the duration required to create a healthcare app. The exact cost will vary based on several factors, but you can utilize our comprehensive cost analysis to arrive at an informed estimate.
5. Test your Minimum Viable Product with a sample of your intended audience.
After obtaining your Minimum Viable Product (MVP), it should be examined with a subset of your target market. Depending on the app’s size and complexity, several test groups may need to be conducted to assess all of its features. Obtain feedback from these test groups and use it to enhance the performance of the app.
During this phase, it is crucial to prioritize the refinement of the product’s essential features and user interface. Scale testing of the proposed app is underway; minor adjustments and enhancements should be noted, but their resolution should be deferred until the app’s feasibility is confirmed, and the software is in full production.
Defining a Healthcare App
Healthcare apps come in various shapes and forms, all aiming to support better health. These varieties may include promoting healthy practices, assisting with medication management, or serving as a platform for discussions with medical professionals. There are many opportunities in this field.
The two main categories of healthcare apps are those created for patients and those intended for healthcare providers.
Applications intended for patients are developed for the general public to promote healthy habits and help diagnose illnesses earlier. Examples of such apps include:
- Physical Activity Apps
- Dietary Planning Apps
- Medication Reminder and Routine Maintenance Apps
- Self-Diagnosis Software
- Medical Education Apps
Applications for Healthcare Providers
As the name suggests, applications for healthcare providers are specifically created for medical personnel. Some examples are:
- Scheduling Software
- Healthcare Applications for Medical Records and Health Information
- Medical Reference and Database Applications for Android and iOS
- Internet-based Medical Communities
- Patient Health Monitoring Software
- Remote Medical Care Software
How Do Medical Applications Help?
Medical applications offer several ways to significantly improve a patient’s quality of life:
- They can promote balanced diets and active lifestyles.
- Medical professionals can remotely monitor and provide care for individuals who have mobility issues or underlying health conditions and are unable to leave their home. This is especially crucial for those who cannot attend appointments in person.
- These reminders can help individuals who have difficulty remembering to stay on schedule with their medications and treatments.
Medical professionals may use health applications for various purposes:
- Doctors can monitor the health of their patients in real-time, enabling them to make necessary adjustments to care.
- Schedule consultations and follow-up appointments with less hassle.
- As a result, medical professionals have improved access to information that can aid in the diagnosis of various illnesses.
Advantages of Medical Applications
Developing a health application aims to establish a connection between patients and doctors, with the ultimate goal of improving the quality of life for everyone involved. This can yield a range of advantageous outcomes from different perspectives:
- Adopting healthy habits like regular physical activity and a balanced diet can significantly enhance overall wellbeing. Health apps can serve as a helpful resource for this purpose.
- Health apps offer patients a way to track their conditions and medications, resulting in more customized care and reducing the likelihood of missed doses. Additionally, they may provide safety instructions for different therapeutic procedures to assist patients in avoiding any potential complications.
- Utilizing apps to enhance communication between doctors and patients can lead to reduced healthcare expenses. This is because of several advantages, including time and cost savings, which ultimately result in a decrease in overall costs.
- By utilizing up-to-date and peer-reviewed information on symptoms, illnesses, treatments, and medications, a health application can be a valuable tool for medical professionals seeking to efficiently make an accurate diagnosis.
- Integrating automated processes in a health app could enable doctors and nurses to devote more time to patient care by freeing them from administrative duties such as appointment scheduling.
- By introducing efficient processes, healthcare apps have the potential to manage resources efficiently, thus maximizing equipment use and enabling more individuals to benefit from it.
Completing the Early Stages of Development, Moving On to the Next Step
We are thrilled to see that the minimum viable product you have designed has appealed to your intended audience, and they are eager to start utilizing it. However, there is still a substantial amount of work required to fully complete your healthcare app.
What Features Define a Popular Health App?
The most successful apps, just like top-notch software, are the ones that provide necessary features to their users and keep evolving according to their feedback.
Regularly updating apps has become crucial to remain competitive and keep customers content. With an increasing number of apps being launched every day, it is vital to put in greater efforts to distinguish oneself and retain current customers.
What are the Ways Medical App Developers Earn Revenue?
Health apps primarily generate revenue through two main methods:
- The features of your app can be accessed after paying a one-time purchase fee or completing a specific set of steps.
- To access premium features of the app, users need to pay a recurring subscription fee. Various membership levels may provide access to a more extensive range of perks. It may be useful to divide the software into separate modules when it has various features, but users are only interested in specific ones.
Promoting other products is not considered an appropriate revenue source for medical apps. Here are two of the primary reasons why users of health apps may become dissatisfied:
- Advertisements are frequently associated with tracking data to target consumers, so it is crucial to ensure that they do not feel apprehensive that their private information may be exposed.
- Avoiding the inclusion of advertisements in your app is recommended. It can be challenging to monitor ads’ content, and there is a risk of displaying ads that go against the purpose of your app (such as promoting fast food restaurants in an app that promotes healthy eating).
You now have a good grasp of the basics of developing a health app. It requires more effort than making a typical app, but it has the potential to become exceedingly famous among users. A valuable health app could become a reliable companion, enhancing users’ lives and becoming a part of their everyday routine.
If you require assistance in developing a health-related app, Works can grant you access to experienced iOS and Android app designers and developers. Additionally, we have several specialists in Xamarin and Flutter who can turn your vision of a Hybrid app into a reality. Our recruitment procedure is thorough, and we will find the most appropriate developers who align with your organization’s culture.