Comparing Airbnb and Instagram, it is evident that each platform utilizes different programming languages; Airbnb uses Ruby while Instagram employs Python. This highlights the ongoing debate between the two languages, and it is likely that this debate will never be settled. What are your personal preferences when it comes to Ruby and Python?
Ruby’s creator, like Python’s, had the intention of developing a language accessible to everyone. Researching job openings may be beneficial in determining which role would be most suitable for your project. However, simply typing “remote jobs” into Stack Overflow’s search bar will not provide a comprehensive overview. Python job postings are more abundant than Ruby ones. Furthermore, Python has a 20% lead over Ruby on LinkedIn. There appears to be a greater demand for those with Python skills. PayScale indicates that Ruby developers in the US market have a greater salary range but are more challenging to maintain and retain due to competitive offers.
A developer with knowledge of both Python and Ruby programming languages will have a distinct advantage. I started my career as a software developer with Python and have found it to be a reliable and dependable language. Subsequently, I moved onto Ruby.
However, which candidate should be hired if one has to make a decision?
In Other Words, What Exactly Is Ruby?
Yukihiro “Matz” Matsumoto, a Japanese computer programmer, is credited as the creator of the Ruby programming language. His aim was to develop a new language which was a balance between functional and imperative approaches. He drew on elements from some of his favorite programming languages, including Perl, Smalltalk, Eiffel, Ada and Lisp, to create a language which was both simple and aesthetically pleasing.
Ruby was initially released in 1995, but it wasn’t until 2006 that its popularity began to increase. At this time, the most popular mailing list, Ruby-Talk, was receiving around 200 messages per day. Subsequently, more and more people began to openly discuss Ruby, leading to the creation of several communities such as rubyonrails.com and the Ruby Community focused on the exchange of information and the development of codebases.
Due in large part to its innovative web framework, Ruby now ranks in the top 10 most popular programming languages in the world.
Gains from Ruby
When getting started, there are no additional costs associated with utilizing, copying, altering, or distributing the software. Ruby boasts a number of advantages for software engineers and business owners, such as being open to modifications and having a range of adaptable features.
Object-BasedWhen enquired about his quest for the suitable syntax, Matz responded, “I desired a scripting language that was more powerful than Perl and more object-oriented than Python.
In Ruby, everything can be considered an object. Each piece of data and code has distinct attributes and functions. Properties in object-oriented programming are known as instance variables and tasks are completed using methods. Compared to other languages, a pure object-oriented approach offers more flexibility and creativity when it comes to web development, as it can be used to apply an action to integers and other fundamental types.
FlexibilityRuby is renowned for its flexibility, allowing its components to be customised, extended, removed or duplicated. Programmers can use the ‘+’ operator or the word ‘plus‘ to add features to an existing application, as well as other operations and quantities.
BlocksRuby is renowned for its support of blocks, allowing developers to add a closure to any function for increased customization. This can be done through the use of a do…end structure, creating an area for further customization.
MixinRuby stands out from other object-oriented languages due to its reliance on modules rather than multiple inheritance. This allows classes written in Ruby to mixin a module, granting them access to its methods without any additional cost. As a result, Ruby provides coders with a straightforward structure for creating complex and flexible code, surpassing the capabilities of multiple inheritance.
Perception of AppearanceRuby is renowned for its preference for English-based keywords over punctuation, meaning variable declarations are not necessary. Rather, the scope of variables is indicated through verbal cues. This is just one example of Ruby’s distinct approach.
- var may be a neighbourhood variable.
- @var identifies an instance variable.
- $var refers to anything that exists on a global scale.
Thus, the functions of each variable may be easily determined by the programmer.
New Ruby DistributionsRuby has a range of versions that provide different levels of compatibility with various language and platform connections. Common examples include:
- JRuby is a Ruby programming language implementation that runs on the Java Virtual Machine (JVM). It takes advantage of the JVM’s garbage collection capabilities, concurrent threads, extensive library of libraries and robust tool ecosystem.
- You may say that Rubinius is “Ruby written in Ruby.”
- TruffleRuby is a fast Ruby interpreter that runs on top of the GraalVM virtual machine.
- mruby is a small, efficient version of the Ruby programming language that may be linked or embedded in larger programmes.
- A “tightly integrated with the .NET Framework” implementation is IronRuby.
- MagLev has “integrated object persistence and distributed shared cache” and is “a fast, reliable, Ruby implementation.”
- The full title of Cardinal is the “Ruby compiler for Parrot Virtual Machine” (Perl 6).
In Other Words, What Is Python?
Python, which was first made available to the public in 1991, is a widely recognised language for writing computer programmes. It is highly likely that 90% of developers have taken their first steps in programming with Python, making it almost impossible to enter the digital world without encountering anything written in this language.
In 1989, Dutch programmer Guido van Rossum created the coding language Python. Its structure is simple, yet it is capable of constructing complex applications. This was inspired by the British comedian Monty Python. Python can be used as scripting, compiled code, and embedded code without the need for curly quotes or semicolons at the end of most lines. Additionally, within the Ruby community, a lot of information is shared freely, encouraging the documentation of code solutions.
Python’s Many Advantages
FlexibilityAdaptability is an essential feature to consider when choosing a programming language. Python’s constant refinement and improvement have allowed it to become highly adaptive, making it possible to create web applications, independent programmes and Python modules to be used as part of larger software systems. This versatility makes Python a useful resource in many fields, and it can be used in a wide range of contexts due to its adaptability. Python is also a great choice as it is compatible with all three programming paradigms; functional, object-oriented and imperative.
Books and Free Online MaterialsPython developers benefit from a vast range of resources such as libraries, documentation and forums. These are all part of Python’s standard library, which offers access to internet protocols, string operations, web service tools and OS interfaces. Through these repositories, software developers can learn from each other and find solutions to their issues. On top of this, Python is constructed with an open source licence approved by the Open Source Initiative (OSI). This means that Python, like Ruby, can be used and shared without charge.
User-friendlyPython has been designed with simplicity in mind, making it accessible to both novice and experienced programmers. PEP 8, the coding style standards, helps keep code legible and easy to read. Furthermore, Python has an array of inbuilt data structures, such as lists and dictionaries, which are useful for creating efficient data structures. Additionally, Python offers the possibility of dynamic high-level data types, reducing the amount of code developers must maintain.
PrototypesIt has been established that Python has a shallow learning curve, making it simple and straightforward to create and modify due to its adaptable structure. Therefore, Python is an ideal choice for prototyping when running a business. This means that it is quicker and more efficient to design and test prototypes compared to other languages, which could help to reduce time and money when launching new projects by streamlining the development process.
ProductivityPython, lastly, is beneficial to efficiency. Firstly, it is free and open source, allowing your team’s programmer to access a wide range of resources without restriction. Additionally, the foundations for unit testing and the capability to take control of the programme enable a faster rate of development. Therefore, Python is highly suitable for the development of scalable multi-protocol network applications.
Comparing Ruby vs Python for Use in Website Development
In sum, Ruby and Python are both powerful languages for building websites.
Ruby on Rails (2003) is a web framework which utilizes the Model-View-Controller (MVC) architectural style. This style separates the logic and data into distinct components; the Model holds the locations of data storage and processing, while the View presents the user interface and data to the user. When a user requests data from the View, the Controller retrieves the necessary information from the Model and sends a response to the user.
Basecamp’s Ruby on Rails framework has proven to be an effective tool in reducing the time to develop software. This technology has been adopted by many renowned websites and apps. Despite its benefits, Ruby on Rails has seen a relatively low level of adoption compared to more popular frameworks such as Java (67.7%) and Python (44.1%). With only 7.1% of the development community using Ruby on Rails, it is becoming increasingly challenging to find experienced engineers proficient in this technology. Consequently, many businesses and startups are hesitant to adopt it.
Django is a web framework for Python that was released in 2005. It is based on a modified version of the Model-View-Controller (MVC) architecture, known as Model-View-Template (MVT). This web design methodology is very similar to the MVC design. Furthermore, route handling is automated, allowing users to take complete control over the user interface with the help of the Template. The View component is responsible for processing the data, communicating with the Model, and displaying the layout.
Contrasting Ruby and Python
Both languages provide powerful and efficient frameworks for web development, which simplify code writing and deliver a streamlined user experience. Furthermore, their simple syntax and excellent readability make them particularly attractive, as they are also compatible with multiple platforms.
These languages share a number of characteristics, including efficiency and adaptability. What about the contrasts between them though?
Incompatibilities Between Ruby and Python
What Should You Look For When Hiring A Ruby Developer?
As an employer, it is important to consider more than just the benefits of using Ruby. A Ruby programmer is responsible for the server side of a web application, including the database, library and logic. To be successful in this role, a Ruby developer should be proficient in Ruby on Rails and other frameworks, as well as have experience creating and working with APIs.
Recruiting a Ruby developer allows you to bring someone on board who is experienced in designing and developing web applications based on Ruby on Rails, whilst also being able to work collaboratively with the rest of the team.
Tasks of a Ruby Programmer
- Develop and manage Ruby code that performs well and can be reused
- Systems that seamlessly archive information
- Integrate server-side logic with front-end developers’ work on user interface components.
- Use innovative approaches to problem solving to identify and fix bottlenecks and glitches.
- Contribute to the continued improvement of code structure, documentation, and automation
Capabilities of a Ruby Programmer
Given my years of experience, the following list of key talents are essential for any project, regardless of the scope or level of expertise needed:
Abilities Required of a Novice Ruby Developer (0 To 2 Years)
- Ability to identify and resolve issues, develop code independently, and provide solutions requiring knowledge of the Ruby framework.
- Familiarity with the HTTP protocol and its components, including node kinds and the protocol’s structure.
- Learning Model-View-Controller, ActiveRecord, Assets, and Heroku Deployment for Rails Applications.
- Be familiar with Linux and other programming languages at a fundamental level.
- Experience with Redis, Sidekiq, HAML/SLIM, and the AWS cloud is a plus.
Qualifications of an Experienced Ruby Developer (3 To 6 Years)
- Code any kind of programme without human intervention.
- Knowledge of the core Ruby library is excellent.
- Examine available gems and open source code and make an informed decision about which to implement in the live project.
- Integration testing, feature testing, and web service and API mocking are all state-of-the-art testing techniques.
- Apply a static code analyzer, style checker, and linter to your code.
- AWS and design patterns.
Ruby Expert with 6+ Years of Experience
- The ability to metaprogram and sophisticated concurrent programming abilities are required.
- The design and implementation of TLS and DNs protocols.
- Code static analyzers and style checkers together.
- In-depth familiarity with Amazon Web Services for the development of a malleable architecture.
- Each step of the data transfer process is optimised for speed and efficiency using HTTP, SPDY, and HTTP/2.
- Expertise in using libraries, frameworks, and architectural solutions including ROM, Hanami, dry-rb, and RabbitMQ.
- Make changes to the library’s actions that contribute to the customization.
- Ability to manage a group of people.
What Should You Look for in a Python Developer?
As a Python Developer, I am responsible for web development, scripting, web scraping, data analysis and automation. I am also expected to create coding frameworks, tools and services, as well as developing and implementing new features for websites.
It is clear that Python is a beneficial language for both beginners and experienced programmers due to its straightforward scripting. Drawing on years of experience, this article outlines what should be looked for when seeking a Python developer.
Tasks of a Python Programmer
- Create Python code that does its job well, can be reused, and can be expanded upon.
- Add front-end developers’ user interface components to back-end processing.
- Design and structure the execution of reliable applications
- Application debugging for low latency and high availability
- Join together the client-facing and backend processes
- Implementation of Security and Privacy Measures
- Identify suitable methods of data storage
Abilities of a Python Programmer
Based on your years of experience, we have compiled the following list of prerequisite skills and knowledge:
Knowledge Required to Begin a Career as a Python Developer (0 To 2 Years)
- Simple Python Syntax
- Computerized data structures
- Familiarity with SQL is a prerequisite.
- Fundamentals of CVS
- Competence in using a well-known web framework
- Create a basic app from scratch
Aptitudes of an Experienced Python Developer (3 To 6 Years)
- Expertise in object-oriented design and programming, as well as testing techniques
- Big data solution development expertise and Python programming background
- Creating and managing software infrastructure (commercial or open-source)
- Being familiar with a cloud service, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), is a plus.
Master Python Programmer (6+ Years)
- Expertise in creating intricate logical structures in Python (industry standards)
- A working knowledge of object-relational mapping (ORM) libraries
- Knowledge of query languages like SAS, SQL, and Hive, plus data visualisation tools like Tableau and Qlik
- The use of Amazon Web Services (AWS) or comparable cloud infrastructure
- Acquiring skills in HDFS, Pig, Hive, Spark, and Scala, among other Big Data technologies.
- Expertise in unit testing and debugging, as well as knowledge of Python’s threading constraints
Python vs. Ruby: Which One Should You Use for Your Website?
Both Ruby on Rails and Django offer a range of advantages and disadvantages. According to StackOverflow, Ruby on Rails has become especially popular in a short amount of time. Although Ruby is often used to maintain existing projects, many businesses prefer to use other languages for developing new applications.
Hiring a Ruby developer is recommended for long-term projects that require the use of the Ruby language. However, for new projects, you should consider hiring a Python developer, depending on the requirements of the project. Depending on the complexity of the project, it may be necessary to hire developers with varying levels of expertise.
Working remotely with Works could be the solution for your needs. Talented Ruby developers from all over the world are ready and willing to join remote teams and work on innovative projects. The same goes for Python developers. If you don’t know where to start, do not worry. Get in touch with us or visit our website. We have the required knowledge and resources to help you find and recruit first-class remote developers for your team.