Flutter is a versatile software development kit (SDK) utilised for generating high-quality mobile apps for both iOS and Android operating systems. It is an open-source platform that allows developers to create native interfaces for both platforms with a single codebase. For those searching for skilled Flutter developers, one can seek experienced professionals through popular freelance marketplaces or job sites or even within their personal network. Essential skills for Flutter developers include a profound comprehension of the Flutter SDK and familiarity with the Dart programming language. Furthermore, individuals should possess a solid grasp of mobile design and UX/UI principles and be proficient working with both Android and iOS. To find app developers with a speciality in Flutter, one can conduct a search for professionals through popular freelance websites or job sites. The cost of procuring the services of a Flutter developer varies based on several factors, such as experience level, geographic location, and the complexity of the project. However, the average cost usually falls between $50 to $200 per hour.
This essay will cover all of the questions mentioned above.
What is Flutter precisely, and what makes it so attractive?
Flutter is a freely accessible software development kit (SDK) designed to simplify the creation of user interfaces (UI) for applications working on several operating systems. This technique of developing applications that can work on multiple platforms is commonly referred to as cross-platform development. By utilising the features of Flutter, developers can swiftly and easily generate applications that can be used on various devices and operating systems.
Flutter applications aid in cost reduction, as development groups do not need to produce different code bases for individual operating systems. Additionally, they benefit from a layered architecture that streamlines rendering and development processes, thereby boosting their effectiveness.
Developers treasure Flutter for its single codebase functionality, which enables prompt app deployment on multiple platforms. This function offers both economical and efficiency advantages, rendering it a top pick for numerous developers.
Advantages of Developing Apps with Flutter
Compatibility with all screen sizesFlutter offers developers a variety of fantastic features that enable them to generate applications for various platforms, including desktops, smartphones, tablets, and wearables, using a single code source. This saves developers time and resources while expanding the reach of their products.
Flexible layout systemFlutter is a powerful and adaptable framework for creating visually appealing user interfaces. Developers often encounter challenges when creating layouts that work for different screen sizes and aspect ratios while designing applications. However, Flutter provides an easy solution to this problem, offering an efficient and convenient way to design user-friendly applications.
To ensure a consistent layout across all devices, Flutter utilises widgets such as rows, columns, stacks, and centres. These widgets enable the arrangement of items horizontally, vertically, and on top of each other, as well as the creation of padding, centre alignment, and margins.
Hot reload capabilityDeveloping an app can be a time-consuming process, especially when it comes to running the app. For example, the entire process of writing the code, compiling it, and viewing the results on an iOS device can take 30 seconds. Thus, this aspect of app development is critical when allocating time to a project.
When modifying the code and saving changes in Flutter, the user interface is instantly updated. Flutter’s user interface design is akin to having a website refresh button at your disposal. The hot reload feature lets you change the colour, style or button of the app seamlessly. Additionally, debugging, upgrading, and maintaining programs are conveniently located in one place with Flutter.
Access to original source codeFlutter is an open-source software development kit (SDK) that offers users great flexibility to customise their applications. After accessing the code, users can delve into the development team’s code and gain insight into how each widget operates.
Unlike Apple’s iOS closed-source code, Flutter is an open-source software development kit that enables users to personalise individual designs or entire templates. With the ability to modify the code, users can, for instance, adjust the shape, hue, and size of a button.
Accelerated time to marketFlutter enables developers to create iOS and Android applications in a shorter amount of time than if they were to develop each application natively. Its user interface (UI) creation is not only user-friendly, but also highly flexible, making it an excellent option for those seeking an efficient and economical method to develop their apps. Additionally, its shared codebase allows for faster product delivery and significantly reduced time to market.
Engine for high-performance renderingFlutter provides developers with a dynamic architecture that lets them explore widget possibilities. The Software Development Kit comes equipped with Skia, a high-performance multi-platform rendering engine that allows Flutter user interfaces to be executed on any device, such as mobile, tab, web, and desktop, without the need for modifications.
Flutter versus Other Frameworks
Flutter is a productive, user-friendly, and robust app development framework. However, for certain applications, there may be other native and cross-platform frameworks that are better suited. For example, React Native, Xamarin, and Ionic offer unique advantages and disadvantages that developers should assess when determining which platform to use for a given project.
Flutter vs. React Native
Flutter has a significant impact on the success of start-ups and small to medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). For new businesses to gain insight into their target audience and attract potential investors, it’s crucial to develop a Minimum Viable Product (MVP). Flutter’s unique User Interface (UI) and speedy reload features allow businesses to develop MVPs much faster.
Studies have shown that Flutter apps are faster than their React Native counterparts. This is mainly because React Native apps require the use of a bridge and native components, as well as optimisation that is specific to the platform, while Flutter does not need such processes.
To develop apps using Flutter, there’s no need to use external libraries since the Software Development Kit (SDK) comes with its own set of automation tools and deployment guidelines. In contrast, deploying React Native apps relies on the developer’s proficiency and the use of third-party tools.
Flutter vs. Xamarin
While Xamarin requires licence fees, Flutter does not.
Locating a Flutter developer is easier than finding a Xamarin developer due to Flutter’s extensive global developer community.
As Xamarin relies on third-party technologies and requires a large development team, it has been found to increase the time for conducting product tests. In contrast, Flutter offers a better and more cost-effective testing experience, requiring fewer resources.
While Xamarin requires a considerable amount of time to build and test products, Flutter is capable of quickly developing and testing complex projects.
Flutter vs. Angular
Although Google supports both Software Development Kits (SDKs), Flutter outperforms Angular in terms of performance. This is because Flutter uses the Dart programming language, which has been found to speed up development and improve user experience.
Why is Flutter app development attractive?
As per the 2021 developer survey, Flutter was the most commonly used cross-platform mobile framework globally, with 42 percent of developers using it. This indicates its significant popularity and high adoption rate among developers.
As per a 2020 Google report, the number of Flutter applications on the Google Play store increased from 50,000 to 90,000 by April 2020, indicating a growing trend of Flutter app development’s popularity. This surge in the number of apps is evidence of Flutter’s rising popularity as a mobile application development platform.
Flutter is an excellent framework for cross-platform application development, offering organisations an efficient and cost-effective solution to create apps with minimal risks and errors. Engaging Flutter developers can enable companies to reduce the time and effort required for developing an application, while also minimising the chances of inconsistencies in user interface and security.
Let’s look at a real-life example of Flutter’s capabilities:
Alibaba, the massive Chinese e-commerce company, has set out to improve the user interface of Xianyu, its marketplace for used products.
Alibaba utilised Flutter to achieve an impressive user base of more than 50 million for their Xianyu app, and the number continues to grow. They required a platform that would allow them to carry out operations from any location or time, while concurrently developing applications that are easy to use, visually appealing, quick to load, and accessible to a wider customer base.
Flutter enabled them to accomplish the following:
- Achieve a high frame rate (FPS)
- Reduce the time required for developing the user interface.
- Maintain the same codebase for both iOS and Android.
- Enhance app maintenance
- A single codebase powers the primary, frequently used, and complex aspects of the app on both iOS and Android.
- Decrease your workload.
- Boost team efficiency
What duties do Flutter developers have?
Listed below are some of the tasks and obligations of Flutter developers:
- Engage in app development, management, and maintenance.
- Examining the code to ensure it is concise and easy to understand
- Identifying and rectifying any code errors
- Explore new Flutter technologies and libraries.
Requirements for Flutter developers
Flutter developers are grouped into three categories. They are:
Junior Flutter developersMost developers are only proficient in one programming language when they begin their career. Therefore, if you require Flutter developers who have less than 1 year of experience, you should expect a longer recruitment process.
It is possible that they may not have a complete grasp of the framework. Furthermore, inexperienced developers might devote additional time attempting to comprehend the framework’s architecture and design.
Mid-level Flutter developersFlutter developers with 2 to 4 years of experience are usually categorised as mid-level professionals. They may be assigned to small projects, giving them the freedom to independently manage the development process. This approach can be advantageous for companies since it can speed up the development timeline. Employing mid-level Flutter developers can be a smart choice for businesses looking to rapidly and effectively launch projects.
Senior Flutter developersIf you intend to create an advanced cross-platform project using Flutter, it is strongly recommended that you hire a senior-level Flutter developer. These developers possess extensive experience, with a minimum of four years in development. They not only contribute to the project’s development, but also provide guidance and mentorship to junior and mid-level developers.
Senior Flutter developers are highly skilled, but they charge considerably more than their junior and mid-level counterparts.
What skills are expected of Flutter developers?
Technical skills necessary for hiring Flutter developers:
- Proficiency in Flutter technology and version control systems like Git.
- The ideal candidate should have a thorough comprehension of the Scoped Model or Business Logic Components, be well-versed in the Dart programming language used for creating applications with the Flutter framework, and possess experience in developing back-end web services like Node.js or Firebase.
- Proficiency in mobile app development for either Android or iOS.
- Thorough understanding of Kotlin or Swift.
Interpersonal skills needed for employing Flutter developers include:
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Fluent English language proficiency
What are the different engagement models for employing Flutter developers?
Based on the project requirements, you can recruit an in-house team, freelancers, or a dedicated remote team.
If you are planning to establish your own software development company or have a significant project that requires regular updates and continued post-development support, creating your own development team may be a worthwhile consideration. Forming a dedicated group of software developers who comprehend your business requirements and objectives can help ensure that your projects are completed within deadlines and with the highest quality. Additionally, having a team of experts available to provide post-development support can save time, money, and provide peace of mind, knowing that any post-release issues can be resolved swiftly and effectively.
- The development team is fully dedicated to focusing their attention and energy on your project. They will be readily available to respond to any questions or feedback you may have at any time.
- You have complete control over the development process.
- Members of an in-house team usually have several similarities that are advantageous in the development process. They typically share the same culture, language, and perspectives on how to complete the work. These benefits aid in reducing the potential for misunderstandings, allowing tasks to be completed with greater efficiency.
- Employing in-house teams can be more expensive than hiring freelancers or outsourcing remote teams.
- The company must handle everything from the hiring process to office equipment.
- Since there is no guarantee that employees will stay with the company for an extended period, businesses are constantly worried about the expenses involved in hiring and training new staff.
If your project is small and you intend to complete it quickly, hire freelancingFlutter developers.
- Recruiting freelance developers is an inexpensive alternative. Employers might save even more money since there are no human resource management expenditures to account for.
- Employers can tap into the global workforce pool and recruit anyone without concern for regulatory limitations.
- Language or cultural differences can result in misunderstandings.
- As a result of the possibility of time zone differences and varying work schedules, we cannot assure that projects will be finished on time, which may result in task completion delays.
- The majority of freelancers are not bound to a single organization. They may not consider the amount of time and effort needed to finish a particular assignment.
- Unexpected problems such as a poor internet connection or outdated technology can lead to project delays.
- Due to their workload and unpredictable schedules, freelancers take longer than full-time employees to respond to urgent needs.
Outsourced Remote Teams
The adoption of remote workforces has been expedited globally by the COVID-19 pandemic, and this trend is expected to persist in the future. By providing greater flexibility, scalability, and cost savings, businesses of all sizes and kinds can efficiently use remote teams. As a result, outsourcing dedicated remote teams has become a common practice for businesses looking to optimize their efficiency, productivity, and profitability.
- Outsourcing is less expensive than hiring an in-house staff, with developers in certain regions charging less than others.
- Outsourcing contractors can offer significant advantages to employers by sparing them a significant amount of time, effort, and money in the recruitment and screening process, as well as in human resources management. This simplification of the recruitment and HR processes allows employers to concentrate on other areas of their businesses without sacrificing the level of human resources they require.
- Employers can stay focused entirely on their primary business objective.
- Cultural and time zone differences can lead to misunderstandings.
Where to Find the Best Flutter Developers?
Upon choosing the appropriate engagement model, outsourcing platform, and defining the tasks for Flutter developers, it’s essential to assess potential candidates properly. Here are some suggested steps to ensure a successful recruitment process:
Essential Requirements for Hiring Flutter Developers Include:
- Proficiency in various programming languages and technologies used for creating mobile applications
- Thorough comprehension of the Flutter framework
- Extensive familiarity with iOS or Android app development
- Exceptional problem-solving and communication skills
- Superb documentation skills
- Practical experience with app architecture planning
- Fundamental knowledge of agile development methodologies
Process of Hiring the Top-Notch Flutter Developers
Step 1: Initial Screening
Before scheduling the interview, it is advantageous to evaluate the candidate’s Curriculum Vitae (CV) and portfolio to determine if their qualifications and experience align with the job criteria. If you intend to recruit a proficient Flutter developer, they should meet the following credentials:
- Fluency in English at an upper-intermediate level is mandatory.
- Proficiency in Dart, Kotlin, and Swift for over three years
- Minimum of two applications built on Flutter available on the AppStore and PlayStore or source code samples accessible on GitHub
- Hands-on experience with third-party libraries and APIs
Step 2: Interviews and Evaluations
Before the face-to-face meeting, it is recommended to conduct a telephonic interview. If the candidate lacks the essential technical expertise, it is suggested to involve their technical lead in the discussion. Here are some proposed questions to help the interviewer prepare.
Flutter Developer Interview Questions:
- For how long have you been using Flutter?
- Did you work as an Android/iOS native developer before?
- Do you have a GitHub repository where you can showcase a sample of your code?
- How does Flutter manage various functions?
- What is the way to maintain consistent formatting of Flutter code?
Conducting comprehensive research before an interview is crucial. In addition to the prescribed questions, it is advised to use a search engine and prepare further pertinent questions to raise during the interview. Additionally, incorporating live coding assignments with time constraints and case studies can offer a more complete insight into the candidate’s skills.
Step 3: Induction
The statistics indicate that more than 20% of new hires quit their jobs in the initial 45 days of employment. Hence, the induction process is a crucial element of any successful recruitment process. To ensure the success of new employee’s induction, the following steps should be taken:
- Giving ample time for new hires to learn and adjust on their first day of work is essential. Joining a new job can be an overwhelming experience, and it’s crucial to give the new employee an opportunity to become acquainted with the company’s customs and atmosphere. Thus, it is advisable to provide the developer with sufficient time to acclimatize to the work environment.
- Introduce the new employee to their colleagues. Ensure that they feel comfortable and comprehend whom to contact in case of any uncertainty.
- Ensure that you acknowledge and understand their ideas. Encourage new hires to share their thoughts with the team.
- Help your new hire to understand and learn their responsibilities; clarify and elaborate on tasks as necessary.
- Orient the new employee about the project, its objectives, the company’s vision, the methodology of work, and any other information they might require.
- It’s important to share tool lists and login credentials that we frequently use among our team, along with instructions on how to utilize them. Creating a coherent and efficient workflow will assist us in achieving our objectives within the set timeframe.
- Share the software requirements specification (SRS) and all essential documentation related to the project’s design, etc.
- If you have a significant number of Flutter developers on your team, pair programming could be a great approach to assimilating new hires. Assigning the new recruit to work with experienced personnel will ensure an efficient development process.
Wondering how to hire Flutter developers in 2022?
Since its launch in 2017, Flutter has become a popular choice among app developers due to its ability to enable speedy development, be easily integrated into projects, provide excellent performance, and provide a configurable user interface. The myriad benefits of Flutter have made it a favoured option for app developers.
Organisations seeking to hire Flutter developers must put in the effort to delineate their project requirements, establish their recruitment budget, and determine how much time they are willing to invest in recruitment and resource management. Having a clear conception of these elements will aid in ensuring a successful onboarding experience for new Flutter developers.
Bear in mind that finding an ideal Flutter developer takes time and effort, as professional Flutter developers are in high demand in 2022.
If you’re seeking to establish a robust software development team in the cloud, Works can be of assistance. We provide pre-screened, experienced remote developers at competitive rates. Our platform provides access to the top 1% of 1.5 million+ developers from over 150 countries.
What is the goal of Flutter?Flutter, Google’s cross-platform UI toolkit, empowers developers to build top-notch applications for desktop and mobile platforms from a single codebase. Flutter is an open-source and free solution, allowing interaction with existing code and has been widely accepted by developers and organisations worldwide.
Is Flutter considered a programming language?Flutter is not a conventional programming language, but rather a Google Software Development Kit (SDK) that provides developers with prewritten code, widgets, libraries, tools, and documentation for creating cross-platform applications. The Flutter SDK allows developers to build top-notch mobile experiences that can be deployed on both Android and iOS devices without the need to write separate code for each system.
Flutter vs Java: which is better?Java is a programming language, whereas Flutter is a technology for developing cross-platform apps. Therefore, comparing Flutter to Java is unfair.