As instructors at Works, we take pride in our role in shaping the future of technology. We are teaching brilliant people to become the best remote developers of the future, and part of that mission is to ensure we are familiar with the latest tools for remote collaboration and productivity. With that in mind, we have put together a list of our top picks in each category to help equip your own remote development team.
Connecting with Others and Working Together
- Just what it does — A system for managing and collaborating on the development of source code.
- Here’s why we think you’ll adore it: Github is an invaluable resource for software developers, providing an efficient platform for hosting source code, networking with fellow programmers, and managing projects. Its integration with other tools, such as Slack, Trello, TravisCI, and Jenkins, makes it easy to connect with other platforms. Furthermore, its issue-tracking system facilitates communication and project management. By utilising Github and integrations such as ZenHub, remote teams are able to effectively manage their projects. All in all, Github is an essential tool for any software development team.
- Cost There is no charge for open source repositories which are available to the public. For private repositories, the basic Bronze subscription, which is priced at $5 per month, provides access to up to five repositories and allows for an unlimited number of users.
- Its Function Slack is an online messaging and file-sharing platform.
- Here’s why we think you’ll adore it: Slack’s integration capabilities make it an excellent choice for collaboration, far surpassing the capabilities of email. All of the messages, notifications, and files sent on Slack channels can be indexed and searched, providing a great way to keep track of information. Slack also offers strong third-party connectors to popular applications such as Github, TravisCI, and Jenkins, allowing for a full view of the progress of a team working remotely. Furthermore, users can set up alerts to be notified of any significant changes in the product.
- Cost Pricing is based on a per-user, per-month fee for bigger organisations, but is free for smaller teams.
- Its Function Screen sharing and real-time collaboration.
- Here’s why we think you’ll adore it: Screenhero, a relatively new acquisition of Slack, is a powerful tool for remote Pair Programming, as it allows colleagues to communicate and control their computers simultaneously from various locations. Furthermore, it enables one user to invite a multitude of others to an existing session, thereby facilitating one-to-many cooperation.
- Cost Screenhero is now free for all active users. Indefinitely, we have disabled signups, however current members may invite new ones.
- Its Function Video conferencing and the electronic office.
- Here’s why we think you’ll adore it: If you would like to initiate a video chat with a team member, simply click on their profile picture. This is an effective way to facilitate spontaneous conversations.
- Cost — Up to 3 users are free, and each additional user costs $9 per month.
Management of Activities and Projects
- Its Function — Planning and tracking of progress toward goals.
- Here’s why we think you’ll adore it: Trello has a powerful API that can be used by developers with minimal effort – after a five-minute tutorial, they can be up and running. Furthermore, Trello interfaces with Slack, which provides an additional layer of integration for teams. The tool is designed to help teams keep track of their projects, assigning “Cards” to team members to view activities and keep track of milestones. The beauty of Trello lies in its lack of rigid structure, which makes it simpler to use than its competitors and enables teams to adapt it to their own software development process.
- Cost — No cost, with optional $5 monthly per user fees for features like admin-level access and more.
Context for off-Site Software Development
- Its Function It’s possible to access Cloud9, a cloud-based development environment, from any computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- For these and countless other reasons, we are absolutely in love with this comprehensive Ubuntu development environment. Not only does it provide oversight, but it also allows for true collaborative programming with the support of multiple frameworks such as Python/Django, Ruby/Rails, and Node.js right out of the box. In just a few minutes, users can clone a repository to their virtual machine (VM), make changes to the project, and test on a live, shareable server through the sub.c9.io web address. This feature is also compatible with popular repository hosting platforms such as Github and Bitbucket.
- Cost An upgraded account will cost you $19 per month.
Dissemination of Data
- Its Function Documents, media, and presentations may all be shared over the cloud.
- Here’s why we think you’ll adore it: Dropbox’s seamless cross-platform, drag-and-drop functionality is a major selling point.
- Cost We are pleased to offer businesses the flexibility to release all data up to the size of their choosing. Following that, businesses may purchase an annual business account with five user access for $795. Each additional user beyond the five included in the account will incur an additional cost of $125.
A Case for Google Drive
- Its Function In-the-moment revision and collaboration on shared files stored in the cloud
- Here’s why we think you’ll adore it: Through Google Docs, numerous people may work on the same document at the same time, making edits and leaving comments.
- Cost Google Docs is part of Google Apps for Business, which costs either $5 per user per month or $50 per user per year.
Finally, It’s Time to Begin.
We are continually in awe of the ways in which our remote developers are exceeding expectations and contributing to the successful completion of the project. In order to enable these high-achieving individuals to work together effectively, it is essential to provide them with the necessary resources. We therefore recommend utilizing Github, Slack, Trello, and ScreenHero as the foundational tools to ensure that your distributed development team is able to collaborate seamlessly and maximize their output.