In today’s world, the demands of both our work and personal commitments can be overwhelming, leaving us with stressful and unmanageable lifestyles. To prevent falling prey to burnout, it is crucial that we find ways to alleviate the pressure we experience.
What causes burnout among individuals?
Taking care of our mental health is crucial, but do we understand what burnout actually means?
To gain a deeper understanding and learn about some self-care practices, we spoke with Marcos Sponton, the CEO and Founder of Yerbo, a platform in Latin America aimed at helping developers avoid burnout.
Burnout takes place when there is a lack of balance between the workload demands and our ability to handle them.
The following are four indications that you may be experiencing exhaustion:
- Fatigue – Overworking yourself can be just as exhausting as pushing your limits in a gym. Fatigue results from prolonged and excessive effort. It is important to understand that mental and emotional strain can be just as draining as physical strain.
- One can recognize burnout through cynicism – a feeling of distancing oneself from work. The diminishing engagement with one’s job is usually a clear sign that enthusiasm and motivation have faded away, resulting in a sense of uselessness. In essence, a feeling of apathy takes over.
- While working, it is crucial to maintain a professional demeanor and to recognize the indications of burnout. One of the primary symptoms is feeling emotionally disconnected from regular interaction partners, such as colleagues, clients and managers. This may translate to job cynicism or the depersonalization of individuals involved. It is essential to acknowledge these alert signs and take necessary action to address them.
- Attaining both personal and professional success becomes difficult when one experiences self-doubt. A lack of self-efficacy may prevent individuals from achieving significant goals due to a lack of belief in their own abilities. This internal conflict is separate from problems that arise from professional performance issues or interactions with other individuals.
Feeling burdened with work can make it challenging to maintain connections with others and believe in oneself. The task at hand can become aimless, and one may feel too drained to address it.
It is regrettable that a large number of people in our industry have to confront this issue, but it is the truth for many of us.
Foundational principles for self-care
So, the query arises – what actions can be taken to avoid burnout?
- Similar to any traditional horror flick, recognising the issue is fundamental to effectively tackling it. Identifying the red flags of burnout and acknowledging its existence is the preliminary stride towards averting it from becoming unbearable.
- Expressing your thoughts to those in your vicinity is crucial. Suppose you acknowledge the signs of burnout. In that case, it is recommended to speak to your manager about finding possible solutions. If you are confronting mental health problems, engaging in a conversation is the vital first step towards obtaining assistance.
It is reasonable to acknowledge that not everyone may feel at ease discussing matters with their line manager. In such cases, it is suggested to look for an alternative point of contact, such as a member of the HR team or another colleague.
- It is also suggested to supervise your state of burnout. Record your emotions and seek help promptly if you identify any indications of burnout.
- It is essential to understand that every individual holds various needs and anticipations. Although yoga and other mindfulness exercises might be advantageous, it is crucial to acknowledge that they do not provide universal solutions. Thus, it is essential to evaluate a variety of options and adopt a solution that best fits your requirements.
- In simpler terms, do not attempt to be the hero. It is impossible to manage everything single-handedly, and attempting to do so only endangers yourself.
Managers, kindly continue reading
Managers and team leaders have alternatives to ensure the safety of their teams.
Grasping the vibe of the work environment is crucial, but carrying out an extensive survey every six months is not the most optimal way of achieving this. It is essential to establish a mechanism for periodic check-ins with the workforce to demonstrate your dedication towards addressing burnout. Furthermore, it is vital to practice what you advocate and allocate time to take care of your personal wellbeing.
For managers, it is crucial to communicate with their staff about mental health concerns in a language that is comprehensible to both parties. By sustaining a unified tone, the message will be received with greater gravity.
Are you looking to enhance your software engineering career as a developer? The Works Talent Network is presently welcoming applications. Take a look!