It can be challenging to convince developers to transition away from the programming language they are currently using. Despite the fact that numerous languages have not been able to garner the approval of experienced coders, Rust has managed to captivate the attention of countless developers all over the globe.
According to the Stack Overflow Developer Survey, Rust has been voted the most loved programming language for four consecutive years. This begs the question: what makes Rust so attractive to developers that it continues to outrank other popular languages?
What exactly is Rust?
Rust, a programming language developed by Mozilla Research, was introduced in 2010 as a reliable alternative to C++.
Rust is a general-purpose programming language that can be used for a wide range of tasks. Its wide array of features make it suitable for multiple programming paradigms, allowing developers to create reliable, productive, and secure applications. Rust shares some similarities with C++, yet it employs a unique approach to memory safety through its integrated borrow checker, which validates references used in the program.
Rust is a programming language that is able to provide memory safety without the need for garbage collection. Additionally, it offers the option of reference counting for further security. Furthermore, Rust is an advanced language and includes features such as functional programming and low-level memory management capabilities. These features make it a powerful and flexible tool for developers.
What is the purpose of Rust?
Since 2015, Rust has seen a surge in popularity, surpassing other programming languages such as Python and TypeScript. Even more impressive is the fact that Rust developers have earned higher salaries than their Python counterparts. There are several features that make Rust stand out from the crowd. These features include:
- Rust comes with extensive documentation.
- It includes a highly user-friendly compiler as well as high-quality tools such as integrated package managers and a multi-editor.
- Rust can resolve memory errors and concurrent programs in a way that C and C++ cannot.
- By default, it is extremely fast and secure.
What exactly does a Rust developer do?
A Rust Developer is a computer programmer who specialises in the Rust programming language. They are responsible for creating code for a range of applications, including systems software, operating systems, blockchain projects, and web browsers. The duties and responsibilities of a Rust Developer include, but are not limited to:
- Using the Rust programming language, write code to meet the requirements.
- ensuring the safety and security of their software or systems
- Software testing and debugging
- Making certain that the development process runs smoothly
- Integrate cybersecurity and data storage into their programs.
- Understanding user feedback and making improvements to the product
A good Rust developer should have prior experience coding, developing, and testing software programs in the Rust programming language.
Who is the creator of the Rust programming language?
Graydon Hoare, an employee of Mozilla Research, developed the programming language Rust in 2006. In 2009, Mozilla began to provide financial support for the project, resulting in the official release of Rust in 2010.
In February 2021, the Rust Foundation was established by five major companies – Amazon Web Services, Huawei, Google, Microsoft, and Mozilla – and was announced as the governing body of the Rust programming language. Subsequently, in April 2021, Google declared its intention to support Rust as an alternative to C/C++ in the Android Open Source Project.
As a consequence, the Rust Foundation is the owner of Rust at present. It has possession of all trademarks and domain names, as well as being responsible for the financial expenses incurred for the normal running of Rust’s activities.
So, what distinguishes Rust from the competition?
Rust was developed in response to the shortcomings of other programming languages, and is an open-source project, inviting collaboration from developers around the world to make the language more effective and efficient.
Rust is a programming language that has experienced significant growth in its community in recent years, and offers its users access to fast, reliable online support. The language also features a single, powerful tool called Cargo, which is capable of compiling code, running tests, generating documentation and uploading packages to a repository, among other useful functions.
Rust is a great programming language for creating web and cross-platform applications.
Let’s look at some statistics.
According to a Stackflow survey, Rust has been the most popular language among developers since 2015.
According to a survey conducted by The News Stack, the average salary of developers working on the Rust programming language is the fourth highest, higher than the salaries earned by developers working with Python and TypeScript.
In the same year, Rust was ranked second only to Python in TIOBE’s list of the top 20 most popular programming languages.
What are some examples of real-world applications?
With the support of tech giants such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google, and Microsoft, Rust is a language that has quickly gained popularity in the world of business. Let’s examine some of the real-world applications of Rust, to gain a better understanding of the language’s potential.
- AWS, or Amazon Web Services, wrote the entire code for Firecracker in Rust. AWS’ Lambda and Fargate are also powered by the language.
- Amazon, Google, Intel, and Red Hat have collaborated on the ‘rust-vmm’ project to share packages with the community.
- Microsoft has chosen Rust over Go for projects such as WebAssembly and rewriting low-level Windows components.
- Rust is used in production by Dropbox, Discord, Cloudfare, Figma, Coursera, and other companies.
Is Rust appropriate for application development?
Rust has numerous advantages over other programming languages. Here are a few examples:
- Rust is inherently more secure than languages such as C++ due to its strong emphasis on protecting its own abstractions, as well as those created by developers. This added layer of security is a major benefit that Rust provides compared to other languages.
- Rust moves quickly. When compared to Java, Rust provides faster startup times and a smaller memory footprint.
- Rust is a carefully designed programming language that offers developers a wide range of features and capabilities. It is particularly notable for its support of lambda expressions, which allow for the concise expression of complex statements. Moreover, Rust is designed so that every statement is an expression, enabling developers to easily compose different parts of the language.
- Rust is a powerful and flexible programming language, enabling developers to develop new container types that can contain a variety of elements, generics, traits, and algebraic data types. With Rust, developers can create functional and secure programs that can be adapted to a wide range of applications.
Yes, Rust is an excellent choice for application development due to its numerous advantages. It is significantly faster than many other programming languages, making it ideal for applications that require high performance. Additionally, Rust offers greater reliability and better memory safety compared to other languages, ensuring that applications built with Rust run smoothly and securely. Moreover, the language has seen a rapid increase in its user base, demonstrating the growing popularity of Rust and its applicability to a wide range of applications.
Finally, what is the future of Rust?
Rust is used by many companies around the world because of its unique features.
Rust is an open-source programming language which offers its users a high level of performance, without the need for a runtime or garbage collection system, making it an ideal choice for mission-critical services and applications which require integration with other languages. As a result, developers are able to benefit from the speed of Rust while still being able to utilise the existing codebase of other languages.
It also includes excellent documentation, an easy-to-use compiler with error messages, and high-quality tools such as an integrated package manager.
It is evident that Rust programming language enables businesses to produce dependable and proficient software, which makes it highly sought after among developers. Consequently, it is estimated that Rust’s popularity will continue to increase in the foreseeable future.
Do you want to hire Rust developers?
Are you looking for a way to quickly hire Rust developers? If so, then you should consider using Works to take advantage of our pre-vetted Rust developers. Our developers are available in your time zone, so you can get the help you need without worrying about the time difference. And the best part is that you can hire these developers in as little as 3-5 days by visiting our Hire Developers page!