Persuading developers to shift from their current programming language can be a daunting task. However, Rust has successfully captured the interest of numerous developers worldwide, even among those who are highly experienced and have been unimpressed by other languages.
The Stack Overflow Developer Survey reports Rust as the most beloved programming language for four years in a row. This begs the question as to why Rust continues to surpass other renowned languages in terms of appeal and attraction to developers.
What precisely is Rust?
Mozilla Research developed Rust, which was first introduced in 2010 as a dependable substitute for C++. Here, at Works, you can hire remote Elm Developers.
Rust is a versatile programming language that can be utilized for various purposes. Its extensive range of capabilities enables it to accommodate multiple programming paradigms, enabling developers to build secure, efficient, and dependable applications. Although Rust has some similarities with C++, its memory safety is unique as it uses an integrated “borrow checker” to validate references utilized in the program.
Rust is a programming language that guarantees memory safety without relying on garbage collection. It also has the additional option of reference counting for enhanced security. Rust is an advanced language with functional programming and low-level memory management capabilities that make it a potent and versatile tool for developers.
What is Rust aimed at?
Since 2015, Rust has been increasingly favoured by developers, surpassing other programming languages like Python and TypeScript in terms of popularity. Furthermore, Rust developers have earned more significant salaries than their Python counterparts, which is an impressive feat. Rust has unique features that set it apart from the crowd, some of which are listed below:
- Rust is supplied with extensive documentation.
- Rust features a highly user-friendly compiler and state-of-the-art tools such as integrated package managers and a multi-editor.
- Rust has the ability to resolve memory errors and concurrent programs in a manner that C and C++ cannot.
- It is naturally rapid and secure by default.
What precisely is the role of a Rust Developer?
A Rust Developer is a programmer who focuses on using the Rust programming language. Their responsibilities include writing code for various applications such as operating systems, systems software, web browsers, and blockchain projects. A Rust Developer’s tasks and obligations include, but are not limited to:
- Creating code to meet specifications using the Rust programming language.
- Guaranteeing the protection and security of their software or systems.
- Debugging and testing software.
- Ensuring the smooth operation of the development process.
- Integrating data storage and cybersecurity into their programs.
- Acquiring user feedback and enhancing the product.
A competent Rust Developer should possess previous experience in coding, developing, and testing software programs using the Rust programming language.
Who created the Rust programming language?
In 2006, Rust programming language was developed by Graydon Hoare, an employee of Mozilla Research. Mozilla started rendering financial assistance in 2009 which led to the official Rust release in 2010.
Five major companies which are Amazon Web Services, Huawei, Google, Microsoft, and Mozilla set up the Rust Foundation in February 2021, and it was declared as the governing body of the Rust programming language. In April 2021, Google announced its plan to support Rust in the Android Open Source Project as an alternative to C/C++.
Presently, the Rust Foundation is the proprietor of Rust. It owns all the domain names and trademarks, and bears financial responsibility for the smooth functioning of Rust’s operations.
What sets Rust apart from its competitors?
Rust is a programming language that has witnessed vast growth in its community over recent years, and offers fast and reliable online support. The language has a powerful single tool called Cargo that can compile code, perform testing, produce documentation, and upload packages to a repository, among other valuable functions.
Rust is an excellent programming language for developing cross-platform and web-based applications.
Here are some statistics to consider.
As per a Stackflow survey, Rust has been the most favoured language amongst developers since 2015.
As per a survey by The News Stack, the average salary of Rust developers for hire is the fourth highest, which surpasses the earnings of Python and TypeScript developers.
In that same year, Rust was ranked second, only after Python, in TIOBE’s list of the 20 most popular programming languages.
Which real-world applications exemplify Rust’s usage?
Rust, supported by technology behemoths including Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google and Microsoft, has gained rapid popularity in the business world. Take a look at some of Rust’s practical applications to comprehend the language’s potential.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) wrote the entire code for Firecracker in Rust, and Rust also powers AWS’ Fargate and Lambda.
- Amazon, Google, Intel, and Red Hat teamed up to share rust-vmm packages with the community.
- Microsoft selected Rust (instead of Go) for projects like WebAssembly and revamping low-level Windows components.
- Companies such as Dropbox, Discord, Cloudfare, Figma and Coursera (to name a few) utilise Rust in their production environments.
Is Rust suitable for developing applications?
Rust holds several advantages over other programming languages. Here are a few examples:
- Rust imbues better security as compared to languages like C++ by offering strong protection for its own as well as the abstractions created by developers. This added security layer is a significant advantage that Rust provides in comparison to other languages.
- Rust undergoes swift development. It renders quicker startup times and a reduced memory footprint when contrasted with Java.
- Rust is a meticulously fashioned programming language that bestows developers with a vast array of features and abilities. It particularly stands out for its backing of lambda expressions, which facilitate concise expression of complex statements. Additionally, Rust is structured in a way that each statement is an expression, making it easy for developers to compose different parts of the language.
- Rust is a supple and potent programming language, allowing developers to create fresh container types that can contain a diverse set of elements, generics, traits and algebraic data types. Using Rust, developers can design functional and secure programs that can be adjusted to many applications.
Rust is undoubtedly a fantastic option for developing applications owing to its countless benefits. Its rapid speed surpasses many other programming languages, making it ideal for high-performance applications. Besides, Rust provides enhanced dependability and superior memory safety in contrast to other languages, ensuring smooth and secure performance of Rust-built applications. Additionally, Rust witnesses a significant growth in its user base, underscoring the rising popularity and versatility of the language for a broad range of applications.
What does the future hold for Rust?
Many companies worldwide utilise Rust’s distinctive features.
Rust is an open-source programming language that delivers a high level of performance to its users while not requiring a runtime or garbage collection system. Hence, it stands as a perfect alternative for mission-critical services and applications that require language integration. Thanks to Rust, developers can enjoy its swiftness while still employing the existing codebase of other languages.
In addition, Rust provides exceptional documentation, a straightforward-to-use compiler with error messages, and first-rate tools, including an integrated package manager.
It is apparent that Rust programming language empowers businesses to produce dependable and efficient software, making it highly desirable among developers. As a result, it is predicted that Rust’s popularity will keep increasing in the foreseeable future.
Are you looking to employ Rust developers?
Do you seek a prompt method to hire Rust developers? If yes, then you should contemplate using Works to exploit our pre-vetted Rust developers. Our developers are available in your time zone, so you can acquire the required assistance without worrying about the time difference. The best part is that you can hire these developers within 3-5 days by simply visiting our Hire Developers page!