API Engineers for Hire
The success of a business largely depends on the choices made during planning and implementation stages. One of the most crucial and challenging decisions a company can make is selecting the appropriate third-party solutions. These decisions can greatly impact the company’s performance, which is why it is essential to evaluate if the chosen solutions align with the organisation’s goals and requirements.
Businesses can leverage an Application Programming Interface (API) to access data from other applications. A well-designed API simplifies the integration process into the partner’s platform. Additionally, an Open API allows competitors to access a collaborative environment and explore different possibilities while keeping internal corporate teams’ confidentiality intact.
APIs are a set of established protocols that facilitate communication between online applications or systems. They enable the exchange of data between back-end servers and web applications and aid in the seamless communication between various systems. By providing a standardised and secure manner to access and share data, APIs automate communication between different applications, increasing efficiency.
With the increased usage of APIs, employment opportunities for remote API developers have significantly risen.
What does API development involve?
As technology evolves, Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) have become increasingly critical. APIs help manage existing solutions efficiently and even facilitate the creation of new ones. This demand for API developers and API developer positions in the technology industry has skyrocketed. As a result, businesses and individuals are striving to stay up-to-date with the newest API development trends to maintain their competitive edge.
The rising popularity of API testing is well-deserved. Without APIs, many of today’s popular online applications would be complex to create. Therefore, it is crucial to have the appropriate process, tool, and solution for API automation testing. Consequently, the number of API development positions has grown significantly.
What are the responsibilities and duties of an API developer?
Hiring an API developer is critical for organisations looking to achieve their economic objectives through APIs. Consequently, there is a continuous demand for API developers and open job positions in this field. The key responsibility of an API developer is to evaluate the API vision developed by the organisation’s stakeholders. Subsequently, they must collaborate with the stakeholders to develop an API that aligns with the organisation’s needs.
To achieve the highest quality of design and developer experience with the API, developers must adopt an API-first approach to design. This approach prioritises the development and implementation of the API over any preconceived ideas or plans. By following this strategy, developers can ensure that the API delivers the best possible user experience.
Below are some of the primary duties of an API developer:
- Examine, design, create, write, and implement programs for Web Applications with rich features in multiple programming languages.
- Help with system integration, testing strategy, scripting, and application debugging.
- Evaluate the operation and performance of software programs and databases.
- Create programs, modify existing programs, generate test data, and produce functional specifications based on requirements.
- Evaluate program and application performance by utilising various programming languages, techniques, and tools.
- Instruct non-technical staff on effective utilisation of software and hardware systems.
- Analyse project ideas, assess alternatives, estimate costs, and offer recommendations.
- Create system specifications and document the design.
- Determine potential areas for process enhancement, propose alternatives, and provide recommendations.
What is the process of becoming an API developer?
To pursue a career in API development, it is crucial to understand the essential steps needed to secure employment as an API developer. The profession of API development has high demand, which results in excellent growth opportunities. It’s worth mentioning that formal education is not necessary to become an API developer, allowing it to be an ideal career path regardless of previous experience or qualifications. Hence, both new graduates and experienced professionals can acquire the skills required to establish a successful career in API development.
A bachelor’s degree is usually a requisite for most companies to hire API developers. This requirement exists for various reasons. Firstly, having an appropriate educational background enables a better understanding of computer programming and web development which can be beneficial in mastering API development. Moreover, several businesses mandate specific degrees for API developers, allowing them to find lucrative job opportunities with ease. Candidates who possess authentic experience in writing code and creating applications are highly valued by prospective employers. When applying for API developer positions, knowledge of API testing, cloud protocols, and data management/query can be advantageous.
Here are the skills and methods you need to learn to become a competent API developer:
The Skills Required to be an API Developer
To effectively convert an organisation’s requirements into an outstanding API, aspiring developers must have certain skills such as critical analytical thinking, problem-solving, communication, and technical expertise. These abilities are an essential requirement for higher-paying API development positions, and it’s crucial for developers to exhibit them to secure such positions.
Front-end DevelopmentWhile API development is not typically associated with front-end development, possessing fundamental knowledge can be advantageous. In today’s business world, product compatibility across front-end development is a critical programming criterion. Hence, front-end developers can gain expertise in API programming by studying software compatibility principles. For example, mobile and desktop software may not require complete API compatibility. By understanding how to develop software that works with multiple platforms, front-end developers can seamlessly transition into API development.
Multi-platform developmentOrganisations are embracing cross-platform application development to maximize their reach and offer their products to a vast range of customers. Developers can use the same codebase to create products across various platforms, making it easier to create and manage cross-platform applications. A classic illustration of cross-platform development is video games that are accessible on various systems without requiring additional development. Web developers who have a solid understanding of API development can create efficient applications to assist organisations in achieving their objectives. Cross-platform application development is a crucial mechanism that enables organisations to make their products accessible to as many customers as possible.
API DevelopmentHaving a comprehensive understanding of creating API connections between different devices is a valuable skill for developers. Knowledge of API design strategies for each system can be a useful tool for mobile and desktop application developers to expand and enrich their abilities. API designers can utilise their expertise to develop integrated tools, micro-servers that work across several platforms, and applications that optimize connection and communication. For example, software developers can use API design to connect smartphone operating systems with car media software, allowing users to make calls, reply to text messages, and change music securely while driving.
API OrchestrationAPI orchestration is a crucial tool for software developers as it allows them to develop multiple API code lines concurrently while ensuring they interact seamlessly with each other and previously existing API code. Having the ability to effectively orchestrate API code can be a significant asset for a programmer’s career, as it showcases the ability to develop versatile code adaptable to various applications. In addition to creating cross-platform experiences, API orchestration empowers programmers to display an essential skill set and stand out from their peers.
Where Can I Find Remote API Developer Jobs?
Similar to athletes, developers must practice diligently and consistently to achieve success in their field. It is crucial for developers to invest effort in enhancing their skills and abilities regularly. To foster this growth, two important aspects are essential: experienced and successful mentorship and the adoption of proper practice habits. Having support and guidance from someone experienced is vital, as it helps in determining an appropriate amount of practice time and prevents burnout.
At Works, we offer the finest remote API developer positions tailored to meet your professional aspirations as an API developer. You can quickly advance in your career by resolving complex technical and commercial challenges with the latest techniques while working with us. By joining a global network of the finest developers, you can find full-time and long-term remote API developer roles with better compensation and ample career growth opportunities.
- Contribute to the development of scalable RESTful services/APIs and GraphQL APIs
- Collaborate in delivering innovative API solutions to accelerate, streamline, and improve service.
- Engage in designing, developing, and deploying RESTful services.
- Analyze, develop, test, and deploy structured solutions and authentication services.
- Produce clean, tested, and reusable code while upholding performance and quality standards.
- Lead the development of common APIs based on web architecture specifications.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering (or equivalent experience)
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience in full-stack development and APIs is mandatory.
- Proficient in deploying REST API and GraphQL API services.
- Thorough understanding of the fundamentals of full-stack engineering, RESTful services, and authentication protocols
- Demonstrated proficiency in implementing diverse authentication methods and developing systems that scale API requests
- Experience with Apigee, Mulesoft, API Connect or other API management systems, and the entire API lifecycle is necessary.
- Proficiency in scripting, test automation, and rapid development cycles
- Thorough understanding of service-oriented architecture, including microservices
- Proficiency in English is necessary for facilitating effective communication with multinational teams and stakeholders.
- Work full-time (40 hours per week) with at least a 4-hour overlap with US time zones
- Understanding of cloud technologies like AWS, Google and Cassandra
- Experience in end-to-end API project delivery is an added advantage.
- Prior experience with Web3, blockchain, decentralisation, and Web3 stacks that utilize APIs is desirable.
- Must be comfortable in a fast-paced and adaptable environment