Hire ETL Developers
In the modern business world, data has become a critical asset for companies, and business intelligence (BI) professionals are now essential resources within any organisation. Data scientists, data analysts, and business intelligence engineers are tasked with the duty of extracting meaningful information from market data and providing value to the business. Before these data professionals can begin to make use of the data, however, it must be prepared and organised, which is where ETL developers come into play. These professionals are responsible for preparing the data for use by the data team, enabling them to make the most of the information available.
ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) is the process of transforming raw data into actionable insights which are essential for businesses to make informed decisions. This process is complex and difficult since it requires not only technical knowledge but also a thorough understanding of the business context. Many developers may focus on the technical aspects of ETL, however, leveraging data to its full potential entails having a mastery of coding, data management, and business acumen.
What does ETL development entail?
According to Salary.com, the average salary for an ETL Developer in the United States was $76,824 as of September 27, 2021, ranging from $62,265 to $94,127. The hourly rate for this position varies from $30 to $45. Indeed.com reflects similar data, where the majority of job postings indicate a salary of $85,000 or higher. For junior ETL Developers, the average salary is slightly lower at $67,700. Freelancermap reports that the top ETL engineers can earn up to $127,000 annually. These figures suggest that applying for remote ETL Developer jobs is a lucrative option.
Over the past two decades, the advancement of web technology has been remarkable and exceeded all expectations. Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) processes provide the necessary infrastructure to enable data analytics and machine learning operations. As a result, there is a large number of career opportunities available in the ETL development sector.
What are an ETL developer’s duties and responsibilities?
An ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) developer is an Information Technology (IT) professional who specialises in designing data storage systems and managing the process of loading vast amounts of data into data warehouse software. This role involves ensuring the system is thoroughly tested and debugged before going live, and is often part of a business intelligence team that may include data scientists, BI analysts, big data analysts, and other specialists.
Following the acquisition of remote ETL developer roles, your major tasks will be as follows:
Determine how much data needs to be stored.
- Create a data warehouse for the internal departments of the firm using different data warehousing concepts.
- Create and enhance data solutions that allow for seamless data distribution and the collection, management, and analysis of large data collections.
- Create and build operational data stores and data marts, as well as lead the design of the logical data model and the physical database structure.
- Develop, automate, and maintain complex data extraction, transformation, and loading applications.
- Make certain that the data is of excellent quality.
- For ETL applications, create logical and physical data flow models.
- Transform functional requirements and mapping designs into data access, transformation, and movement needs.
How do you get started as an ETL developer?
If you have no prior experience in developing ETL applications, it may initially be challenging to become an ETL developer. Many developers have started their career in the IT industry as computer programmers and, as their knowledge and skills grew, they were given more advanced tasks. Therefore, if you have no prior coding experience, it is recommended to first learn how to program before attempting to become an ETL developer. Nevertheless, there are still options available to you if you wish to pursue a career as an ETL developer.
Here are some tips to help you locate remote ETL developer employment.
One of the initial steps to explore is to look into internships. Submitting your ETL developer resume to organisations that specialise in AI/BI consultation is highly recommended. There is still a scarcity of highly skilled individuals in this field, thus many AI firms are eager to invest in the training of their staff members.
- Rather than waiting for a potential job opportunity to appear on a job-seeking website, it is recommended that applicants begin sending off their applications in advance. Doing so may provide an unexpected advantage, as the recruiter may take notice of your resume. That being said, it is important to note that previous coding experience and a desire to work as an ETL developer are essential requirements for any candidates wishing to be considered.
- Investing in your education is the second way to become well-versed in ETL. Consider enrolling in a variety of ETL training courses and workshops. For instance, you can find a selection of affordable courses on Udemy.com that can help you gain a deeper understanding of ETL and open up new employment opportunities.
- You may further enhance your coding and data management capabilities by obtaining a position as an Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) developer. This role requires specialised knowledge and experience, so it is recommended to start with a related position to gain data experience before focusing on a specialised role within the ETL sector.
In order to be a successful Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) Developer, it is essential to possess a wide range of well-developed professional skills. Just as in the corporate sector, being a successful employee requires more than just showing up for work. In order to be successful in this role, it is necessary to acquire and maintain a specific set of abilities.
Let’s look at the abilities and techniques that will help you become an excellent ETL developer.
ETL developers must have certain skills
The first step in securing remote ETL developer employment is to master the fundamentals. Let us now go further into it.
ETL ToolkitETL (Extract-Transform-Load) tools provide a ready-made solution to quickly and easily transfer data between different sources. Some of the most popular tools on the market are Informatica, Talend, and Pentaho. A data integration developer has the responsibility of ensuring that these tools are integrated with other systems and that an interface is established to allow users to access and utilise the data.
SQLExecuting Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) operations requires a working knowledge of Structured Query Language (SQL), as this is the most ubiquitous and widely-utilised database language for all stages of the ETL cycle. Indeed, many ETL tools are primarily responsible for generating SQL commands. As a result, it is essential for individuals seeking remote ETL developer roles to possess both knowledge and proficiency in both ETL and SQL.
Scripting language expertiseDespite the availability of ETL tools, they may not always be sufficient to meet all of your needs. In this case, it is necessary for ETL developers to take on the arduous task of managing the relevant systems. Consequently, acquiring knowledge of a scripting language is essential for ETL professionals in order to effectively manage files, user accounts, access rights, and other related issues.
Modelling dataAn ETL (Extract Transform Load) developer is responsible for determining the way in which data will be represented in the data warehouse. This includes determining the data formats, also known as data models, which will be used. The core competencies of an ETL developer include the capability to read, interpret and convert data, and to develop data output formats for the database. The data models created by the ETL developer will define the tools that are needed to accomplish the data transformation.
Engineering of databasesTo succeed in a role as an ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load) engineer, it is essential to have experience in data mapping and SQL databases. Additionally, it is beneficial to have an in-depth understanding of data warehouse architecture concepts, components, and processes. Having a comprehensive understanding of these topics will enable you to excel in an ETL developer role.
Self-organisation at a high levelAs an ETL developer, it is essential to develop effective time-management skills in order to excel in the profession. Every day can be extremely demanding, requiring one to juggle a range of responsibilities spanning from business operations to team management to technical tasks. With the right time-management strategies, it is possible to stay on top of all of these obligations and ensure professional success.
How can I find remote ETL developer jobs?
ETL development is one of the most advantageous professions, as it can be done from virtually any location that has a computer and a reliable internet connection. If your employer allows it, you can choose to work from home, or from any other type of workspace that suits you best. This is the ultimate benefit of taking on a remote ETL developer job.
The worldwide appeal of the flexibility of remote work has been a magnet for developers, resulting in increasing competition for remote ETL developer roles. To ensure success in this field, it is important to maintain a high level of technical proficiency and establish an effective working routine.
Are you an ETL developer looking for a career-advancing opportunity? Look no further than Works, where you can access the greatest ETL developer jobs available! Here, you can work on complex technical and business tasks, utilising the most advanced technologies, to move your career forward. Not only that, but you can join a network of the world’s premier developers, and find full-time, long-term remote ETL developer positions with higher pay and more chances to progress. Join Works today to take your professional development to the next level!
Responsibilities at work
- Consult with data engineering teams to gain a broad understanding of the company’s data storage requirements.
- Create the data warehouse system according to the desired corporate standards.
- Before extracting data, do preliminary testing on the warehouse environment.
- Provide assistance and solve any problems that may occur.
- Create and maintain the infrastructure for the data warehouse.
- Create, test, and deploy data pipelines and ETL tools.
- Bachelor’s/degree Master’s in computer science, engineering, information technology, or a related discipline
- 3+ years of solid ETL development expertise (exceptions made based on skill level)
- Extensive knowledge of ETL technologies, SQL/NoSQL databases, and data mapping
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python, Bash, Perl, and others.
- Expertise in warehouse architectural approaches such as MOLAP, ROLAP, ODS, DM, and EDW
- Excellent project management abilities
- Knowledge of several ETL tools, such as Informatica, SSIS, Talend, Pentaho, and others.
- Excellent communication and teamwork abilities
- Problem-solving and troubleshooting abilities