Hire Infrastructure Security Engineers
As the Internet continues to gain traction in our society, the demand for Senior Infrastructure Security Engineers has increased in order to ensure that customer data is handled with the utmost security and privacy. These engineers are tasked with the responsibility of constructing and deploying secure and high-quality digital networks for their organisation or their customer, in a manner that meets the highest security and privacy standards. In today’s digital age, Infrastructure Security Engineers are an essential part of the Information Technology industry, ensuring that organisations, and the customers they serve, can do business with the utmost confidence.
What does an Infrastructure security engineer do?
The competence and skills required for IT infrastructure roles are essential for success in the field. As part of the company’s security efforts, Infrastructure Security experts monitor and secure the infrastructure against threats, vulnerabilities, and misconfigurations. They work collaboratively with the Infrastructure and Security teams to ensure the safety of the company’s data and the data of its customers. Security Engineers must be able to think like an attacker and a defender and be willing to mentor and collaborate with junior Security Engineers in order to develop proactive and preventative measures against potential threats. In the current climate, where digital transformation and remote working is becoming increasingly necessary due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the need for qualified and knowledgeable IT infrastructure security experts is growing. As such, investments in IT infrastructure are becoming more and more important in order to meet the rising demand for business-critical services.
What are the tasks and obligations of an Infrastructure security engineer?
An Infrastructure Security Engineer is responsible for designing, creating, and maintaining systems and security infrastructures according to client specifications and industry standards. Their duties include identifying and interpreting project needs, simplifying project requirements, creating draughts, prototyping, modelling, executing testing to identify potential issues, and ensuring the quality of the project. Additionally, Infrastructure Security Engineers may make decisions, coach and mentor younger engineers, set goals and deadlines, provide technical support, and enforce regulations and policies. The following examples of responsibilities from real Infrastructure Security Engineer resumes demonstrate the types of tasks they are expected to perform in their positions.
- To protect the company’s networks and systems, as well as to design and implement infrastructure.
- Assist with security challenges for a diverse collection of technical and commercial departments.
- Audit the security of the company’s critical infrastructure and manufacturing processes.
- It is a good idea to protect, monitor, and remediate critical infrastructure.
- Assist in the development of a baseline secure cloud computing environment.
- Vulnerability management, patching techniques, and infrastructure security are all important considerations.
- Participate in and lead security incident response.
- To analyse the security of cloud-native settings, threat modelling or similar methodologies might be utilised.
- Collaborate with suppliers, researchers, and other third parties on security problems or practices.
How can I become a security engineer for infrastructure?
Selecting the correct major is essential when learning how to become an Infrastructure Security Engineer. To become a proficient Infrastructure Security Engineer, one must determine the amount of education that is necessary. To be a successful IT Infrastructure Security Engineer, the following qualifications and experience are required:
- It is necessary to have a bachelor’s degree in information systems engineering, computer science, or a similar discipline.
- Over 2 years of experience in infrastructure security, including cyber forensics, breach detection, and incident response, among other things.
- The ability to maintain and operate firewalls is essential.
- Knowledge and expertise in infrastructure security advances, as well as the most recent hacking plans and tactics, are required.
- Enrolling in the best Infrastructure Security Training and/or attending boot camps can provide you with the essential skills and knowledge needed to succeed as an Infrastructure Security Engineer. Having prior job experience in the field is highly beneficial, and many Infrastructure Security Engineer roles require experience as a Systems Administrator. Many Infrastructure Security Engineers have previously worked as Systems Engineers or Senior Systems Engineers, so this can be a great starting point for those aspiring to become Infrastructure Security Engineers. In order to be successful in this role, there are certain talents and procedures that are required.
Qualifications for becoming an Infrastructure security engineer
The first step towards becoming a high-paying Infrastructure security engineer is to acquire the necessary skills and knowledge. Here, you will find all the information and resources you need to get you started on your journey. With the right dedication and commitment, you will be able to master the essential skills required for this profession.
CloudA cloud server is a computer connected to the internet that stores a variety of applications and software. As these are not stored on your personal device, but rather on web servers, cloud servers can be accessed from any location in the world. Clouds are created by data centres spread across the globe, allowing users to access their data from anywhere with an internet connection.
Understanding of network architectureAs an Infrastructure Security Engineer, it is essential to have a thorough understanding of wide area networks (WANs) and local area networks (LANs) in order to design and implement effective security measures. Having knowledge of WANs and LANs will enable you to create multiple layers of protection and safeguard against potential attacks.
Understanding of operating systems and database platformsAs an IT professional, it is essential to have a comprehensive understanding of various operating systems, such as Windows, Linux, UNIX, and other platforms. Additionally, familiarity with database management systems, such as MS SQL and MySQL, is a must. Android, for example, is an operating system built on the Linux kernel, which is responsible for managing all of the hardware resources of the machine. This application is also extremely effective at detecting and eliminating viruses, malware, and other potential issues that could cause a system crash. Furthermore, since Linux is open source, those with coding experience can further customise the system to their individual needs.
Hacking EthicsAlthough it is not necessary to be an ethical hacker in order to design secure systems, it is essential to have a comprehensive understanding of ethical hacking principles and practices in order to develop systems that are capable of utilising them.
Customer careCustomer service is the act of providing assistance and support to current and potential customers, with the aim of creating long-term relationships and encouraging repeat business. This involves responding to inquiries, addressing customer needs and concerns, and delivering high-quality customer service. The ultimate goal of customer service is to ensure customer satisfaction, which can be achieved by creating an environment that is friendly, helpful, and attentive. By creating an atmosphere of trust and respect, customers feel valued and appreciated, thus increasing their loyalty and likelihood of returning for more services.
Programming abilitiesIt is important to have a comprehension of computer code, particularly how to recognise and address malicious code such as viruses and malware. It is also important to be aware of antivirus software, firewall upkeep, and hacker detection. Taking the time to properly understand and implement these measures can help protect a computer system from malicious attacks.
Analysis of logsLog Analysis is a semi-structured data analytics solution that can help organisations maximise efficiency when it comes to diagnosing and resolving issues. This process, known as log analysis, involves studying logs to identify patterns and trends, allowing for better management of infrastructure and applications. By using log analysis, organisations can save time, resources and money, allowing them to focus on more important tasks.
Customer careCustomer service is the practice of providing assistance to current and potential customers. Its primary objective is to establish strong relationships with customers in order to encourage them to return for more business. In order to achieve this, customer service involves answering customer inquiries, addressing any issues that may arise, and providing a high level of service. By cultivating strong relationships with customers and delivering exceptional service, customer service teams can ensure customer loyalty and satisfaction.
How can I get work as a remote Infrastructure security engineer?
In order to be successful in their roles, developers must possess both technical and soft skills. With the introduction of the internet, access to a wide range of free tools and information-sharing platforms has become available, increasing the level of competition in the industry. However, the most important factor to ensure success is to stay focused and be the best version of yourself. If you demonstrate confidence in your capabilities and work towards improving your weaknesses, the right opportunities will present themselves. It is also important to be mindful when selecting a career path, as even if you meet the necessary requirements, making the wrong decision may further complicate the situation. Works offers the top remote Senior Infrastructure jobs that are ideal for Infrastructure security engineers, providing the chance to grow and learn with the latest technology while tackling complex technical and commercial challenges. Furthermore, it provides an opportunity to join a network of the world’s leading developers and gain access to full-time, long-term remote Senior Infrastructure jobs with more attractive remuneration and career progression.
Responsibilities at work
- Troubleshoot bugs to ensure system infrastructure security and operations.
- Update and optimise required software systems for improved performance.
- Design, design, and deploy endpoint defensive security measures
- Create and implement preventative security measures for email (SPF, DKIM, DMARC, attachment sandboxing, and so on) and other collaborative apps.
- Collaborate with the technical team to improve identity access and management (IAM) and device management security.
- Examine security infrastructure and do research to uncover new platforms, products, architectures, suppliers, and services.
- Introduce and execute significant modifications to the company’s network security strategies.
- Bachelor’s/degree Master’s in engineering, computer science, or information technology (or equivalent experience)
- 3+ years of expertise in cloud security, system security, or site reliability engineering is required (rare exceptions for highly skilled developers)
- Hands-on experience handling security systems for several operating systems such as Windows, MacOS, and Linux
- A thorough awareness of contemporary enemy tactics, approaches, and processes
- Extensive knowledge of public cloud service providers such as AWS, GCP, and Microsoft Azure
- Working knowledge of infrastructure automation systems such as Desired State Configuration, Packer, Terraform, and others.
- Solid command of at least one programming language, such as PowerShell, Bash, Python, or something comparable
- To communicate successfully, you must be fluent in English.
- Work full-time (40 hours per week) with a 4-hour overlap with US time zones
- Prior incident response experience
- Knowledge of risk-assessment technology and methodologies
- Fundamental understanding of security breach methods and computer forensics
- Working knowledge of large-scale system administration
- Understanding of Git and documentation maintenance
- Outstanding organisational and communication abilities
- Excellent technical, analytical, and problem-solving abilities