Employ Infrastructure Security Engineers
With the growing prevalence of the Internet in our society, the demand for experienced Infrastructure Security Engineers has significantly increased. These skilled professionals are responsible for building and deploying secure and reliable digital networks for their organisations or clients, while adhering to the highest security and privacy standards. In the current digital era, Infrastructure Security Engineers have become indispensable in the Information Technology industry, enabling companies, and their customers, to conduct their businesses with complete trust and confidence.
Responsibilities of an Infrastructure Security Engineer
The expertise and capabilities required for IT infrastructure roles are crucial for achieving success in this industry. As part of a company’s security measures, Infrastructure Security experts work to guard and safeguard the infrastructure against vulnerabilities, threats, and misconfigurations. They collaborate closely with Infrastructure and Security teams to ensure that company data, as well as the data of its customers, remain secure. Security Engineers must possess the ability to think like both an attacker and a defender and must be willing to mentor and work together with junior Security Engineers to implement proactive and preventive measures against potential threats. In today’s world, where remote working and digital transformation are increasingly necessary due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the demand for qualified and knowledgeable IT infrastructure security professionals is on the rise. Therefore, making investments in IT infrastructure is becoming more and more essential to meet the rising demand for vital business services.
Roles and Responsibilities of an Infrastructure Security Engineer
The key responsibilities of an Infrastructure Security Engineer include designing, developing, and maintaining security infrastructures and systems in accordance with industry standards and client specifications. Their tasks comprise identifying and understanding project requirements, simplifying project needs, creating diagrams, models, and prototypes, conducting testing to identify and mitigate potential issues, and ensuring overall project quality. In addition, Infrastructure Security Engineers also take decisions, provide mentorship to junior engineers, set targets and deadlines, offer technical support, and enforce company policies and regulations. Below are some examples of day-to-day activities performed by Infrastructure Security Engineers, as seen on real resumes.
- To safeguard the integrity of the company’s networks and systems, and to develop and deploy infrastructure solutions.
- Provide aid in addressing security obstacles for a wide range of technical and business departments.
- Conduct a thorough security audit of the company’s essential infrastructure and production procedures.
- Safeguarding, monitoring, and resolving issues with vital infrastructure is highly advisable.
- Provide support in building a secure cloud computing environment baseline.
- Vulnerability management, patching methods, and infrastructure security are all vital aspects to consider.
- Take part in and lead security incident response activities.
- Threat modelling or similar methodologies might be employed to analyse security in cloud-native environments.
- Collaborate with vendors, researchers, and other third-party entities on security concerns or best practices.
What steps are needed to become an Infrastructure Security Engineer?
Choosing the appropriate major is crucial while preparing to be an Infrastructure Security Engineer. It’s crucial to determine the level of education required to become a competent Infrastructure Security Engineer. To excel as an IT Infrastructure Security Engineer, one must possess the following qualifications and experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in information systems engineering, computer science, or a closely related field is a necessary requirement.
- More than 2 years of experience in infrastructure security, encompassing cyber forensics, breach detection, and incident response, among other areas, is necessary.
- Proficiency in maintaining and operating firewalls is a vital skill.
- Capability and proficiency in the latest advancements in infrastructure security, as well as the most recent hacking schemes and strategies, are necessary.
- Acquiring essential skills and knowledge needed to succeed as an Infrastructure Security Engineer can be achieved by enrolling in the best Infrastructure Security Training and/or attending boot camps. Prior job experience in the field can be highly advantageous, and experience as a Systems Administrator is often required for many Infrastructure Security Engineer jobs. Many Infrastructure Security Engineers previously worked as Systems Engineers or Senior Systems Engineers, making it an excellent starting point for those aspiring to become Infrastructure Security Engineers. To succeed in this role, certain skills and procedures are necessary.
Requirements to become an Infrastructure Security Engineer
Gaining the essential skills and knowledge is the first step towards becoming a highly paid Infrastructure Security Engineer. This article provides all the necessary information and resources to help you begin your career journey. With the appropriate level of dedication and commitment, one can master the crucial skills needed for this profession.
CloudA Cloud Server is a computer linked to the internet that can store various applications and software. Cloud servers can be accessed from anywhere in the world since they are not stored on your personal device but rather on web servers. Data centres around the world create cloud, allowing users to access their data from anywhere with an internet connection.
Knowledge of Network ArchitectureHaving a comprehensive understanding of wide area networks (WANs) and local area networks (LANs) is crucial as an Infrastructure Security Engineer. Utilizing WAN and LAN knowledge enables designing and applying effective security measures. It facilitates the creation of multiple layers of protection and protection against potential security breaches.
Knowledge of Operating Systems and Database PlatformsBeing an IT professional, it is vital to have a comprehensive understanding of various operating systems such as Windows, Linux, UNIX, and other platforms. Additionally, knowing how to handle database management systems like MS SQL and MySQL is highly essential. Android, for instance, is an operating system created on the Linux kernel that is responsible for managing all the hardware resources of the device. With this application, detecting and eliminating viruses, malware, and other potential issues that could result in system crashes is highly effective. Furthermore, as Linux is an open-source system, those with coding experience can customize the system as needed.
Ethics in HackingWhile it is not mandatory to be an ethical hacker to design secure systems, having a thorough understanding of ethical hacking principles and practices is essential. It aids in developing systems that can effectively use hacking techniques while maintaining security.
Customer CareProviding assistance and support to current and potential customers to form long-term relationships and encourage repeat business is what customer service entails. Responding to inquiries, addressing customer needs and concerns, and delivering high-quality customer service are all part of this process. The ultimate objective of customer service is to ensure customer satisfaction by creating a friendly, helpful, and attentive environment. By creating an atmosphere of trust and respect, customers feel valued and appreciated, increasing the possibility of their loyalty and return for future services.
Programming SkillsHaving a grasp of computer code, particularly the ability to identify and address malicious code such as viruses and malware, is significant. Being knowledgeable about antivirus software, firewall maintenance, and hacker detection is also important. Devoting time to understand and implement these measures can help safeguard a computer system from potential malicious attacks.
Log AnalysisLog Analysis, a semi-structured data analytics solution, can aid organisations in maximizing efficiency in resolving issues. Studying logs to identify patterns and trends in the process known as log analysis can help manage infrastructure and applications better. With log analysis, organisations can save time, resources, and money, enabling them to focus on more important tasks.
Customer CareCustomer service involves providing assistance to current and potential customers with the primary aim of establishing lasting relationships with them and encouraging repeated business. Exceptional service, addressing customer concerns, and answering inquiries are some of the core aspects of customer service. Creating strong relationships and delivering outstanding service fosters customer loyalty and satisfaction, which is the ultimate goal of customer service teams.
How to Secure Remote Work as an Infrastructure Security Engineer?
To succeed in their roles, developers must possess both technical and soft skills. The internet has provided easier access to free tools and information-sharing platforms, increasing competition in the field. However, being the best version of yourself and maintaining focus are the most crucial factors for achieving success. Displaying confidence in your abilities and striving to improve your weaknesses leads to the appropriate opportunities presenting themselves. When choosing a career path, it is crucial to make mindful decisions since even if you meet the necessary criteria, wrongful choices may further complicate the situation. For Infrastructure Security Engineers, Works provides the top remote Senior Infrastructure jobs that offer opportunities to grow and learn with the latest technology while simultaneously tackling technical and commercial challenges. Moreover, it provides the chance to join a network of the world’s leading developers, offering full-time, long-term remote Senior Infrastructure jobs with better remuneration and career progression possibilities.
Description of Job
- Ensuring system infrastructure security and operations by troubleshooting bugs.
- Optimizing necessary software systems for enhanced performance and updating them.
- Designing and deploying endpoint defensive security measures.
- Developing and implementing proactive security measures for email (SPF, DKIM, DMARC, attachment sandboxing, and more) and other collaborative applications.
- Improving identity access and management (IAM) and device management security by collaborating with the technical team.
- Analyzing security infrastructure and conducting research to discover new platforms, products, architectures, vendors, and services.
- Implementing significant changes to the company’s network security policies.
- A Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in engineering, computer science, or information technology (or equivalent experience)
- 3+ years of experience in cloud security, system security, or site reliability engineering are required (with rare exceptions for highly skilled developers).
- Practical experience in handling security systems for multiple operating systems such as Windows, MacOS, and Linux.
- An in-depth knowledge of current adversary tactics, techniques, and procedures.
- Comprehensive understanding of public cloud service providers like AWS, GCP, and Microsoft Azure.
- Familiarity with infrastructure automation tools like Desired State Configuration, Packer, Terraform, and others.
- Proficiency in at least one programming language, such as PowerShell, Bash, Python, or an equivalent language.
- Proficiency in English is required to communicate effectively.
- Work full-time (40 hours per week) with a 4-hour overlap in US time zones.
- Previous incident response experience
- Understanding of risk assessment technologies and methodologies
- Basic comprehension of security breach techniques and computer forensics
- Familiarity with large-scale system administration
- Comprehension of Git and documentation maintenance
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Exceptional technical, analytical, and problem-solving skills