Recruit Experienced Back-end Developers
In the past few years, the field of web development has gained immense popularity due to the recognition by businesses of how crucial an online presence is for lead generation. As a result, there is now a higher demand for skilled professionals who can use the latest web technologies to design and build websites that support business objectives.
Back-end developers are responsible for handling the data exchange between the server and users. Their primary responsibilities include implementing server-side logic, managing the core database, and ensuring excellent speed and responsiveness to the needs of front-end developers. Moreover, they must embed front-end components created by other teams into the application.
The front-end refers to the visible elements of a website such as pages, menus and content. The back end, on the other hand, is responsible for the complex programming required to make the website function smoothly. The back end developer is in charge of all the necessary code and processes that make the website operational, and they can be considered as the foundation upon which the website stands.
What is involved in back-end development?
As the digital sector continues to expand at a rapid pace, the need for web developers has skyrocketed. This demand has led to an increase in remote back-end developer positions, with businesses recognizing the benefits of remote work and embracing this trend.
In recent years, remote back-end engineers have become crucial for ensuring software scalability and security for businesses. With the rise of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, entrepreneurs have access to many opportunities to leverage this trend, leading to more products to design and subsequently more job prospects for back-end developers.
What are the responsibilities and duties of a senior back-end developer?
A back-end web application developer is accountable for creating, integrating, and maintaining the server-side logic of a web application. This involves developing web services and APIs that can be used by front-end and mobile app developers to design applications. The back-end developer needs to ensure that web services and APIs are efficient, secure, and up-to-date with the latest technology.
A Senior Back-End Developer is responsible for managing the data exchange between the server and users. This professional is in charge of developing all server-side functionality, creating and maintaining the core database, and ensuring that front-end requests are handled with maximum speed and responsiveness. The Senior Back-End Developer will also integrate any front-end components created by other teams into the application. Some of the specific duties of a Senior Back-End Developer include, but are not limited to:
- Integrating user-facing components created by front-end developers with server-side logic.
- Developing reusable code and libraries for future use.
- Optimising the application for optimum performance and scalability.
- Implementing security and data protection measures.
- Designing and building a data storage system.
- Participating in the complete application development cycle.
- Collaborating with front-end developers, testers, QA leaders, and project managers is essential to develop high-quality applications.
- Developing and documenting technical and design requirements.
- Developing robust and efficient web applications using clean coding principles.
- Conducting user interface testing and optimizing applications to enhance performance.
What is the path to becoming a Senior Back-End Developer?
To become a back-end developer, a minimum level of formal education and training is typically required, such as a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field of Mathematics. It is also important to have a good understanding of various programming languages and applications, such as Python, Java, SQL, NoSQL, and Git.
There are various paths to consider if you are looking to start a career in software development. Pursuing a four-year degree is the traditional route; however, alternative learning opportunities such as coding boot camps can provide technical abilities required for back-end developers in a relatively short time and cost-effective manner.
Having a minimum of two to three years of practical experience is essential to be eligible for a senior back-end developer position. Building a strong portfolio of noteworthy projects or working for respected organizations are excellent ways to showcase your capabilities and advance in the field.
Essential Skills Required for Senior Back-End Developers
Attaining a comprehensive understanding of the fundamentals is crucial to securing a lucrative position as a senior back-end software developer. This article provides all the necessary information to equip yourself with the required skills and knowledge for succeeding in this role.
PythonPython is an essential language to consider practicing if you are aspiring to be a back-end developer. It is a highly versatile programming language suitable for a wide range of projects, including small web-based applications and large-scale enterprise solutions. The language’s popularity stems from its ability to support multiple programming paradigms, making it an excellent choice for web development. Python also has a vast collection of data libraries and visualisation tools, and its syntax is simple to understand and use. Additionally, its syntax is closely related to English, making it easy for developers of all levels to comprehend and use.
PHPPHP is a widely used scripting language for server-side programming, which makes it an excellent choice for web developers. Its simple learning curve makes it a user-friendly language for beginners, and its open-source nature means that developers can expand its capabilities without incurring licensing costs. While other languages are often utilized for back-end development, having a fundamental understanding of PHP will make you a more desirable candidate in a competitive job market.
JavaJava is a widely used multi-paradigm programming language for developing a variety of applications. It is an object-oriented language, with numerous capabilities inherited from other popular programming languages such as C and C++. Despite the misconception that Java is harder to learn than languages like Python, it remains the most favoured language among developers. It offers an intuitive learning experience with secure coding. Major e-commerce companies extensively use Java for building their back-end systems, making it an essential skill for any aspiring back-end developer. Thus, having a strong grasp of Java programming can significantly benefit job prospects.
Data Structures and AlgorithmsSolving complex problems using logical approaches is a vital requirement for a successful back-end developer. The ability to stand out from the rest of the developers comes from the knowledge and understanding of algorithms and data structures. Familiarity with rapid sort, bubble sort, selection sort, searching, and iterative algorithms is essential. Without a clear comprehension of data structures, back-end development can become challenging and inefficient. It is critical to have a working understanding of data structures for accessing and manipulating data in programming to increase productivity and efficiency.
Application Programming Interface (API)An Application Programming Interface (API) is a software intermediary that enables various servers, clients, and users to connect and interact with each other over the internet. The back-end of an application typically consists of servers and clients, while the front-end comprises users. APIs are immensely useful for developers as they facilitate data transmission over the internet. JSON and XML are two software technologies regularly used by web developers to minimise the amount of data transmitted between a server and a database.
Where to Find Remote Senior Back-End Developer Jobs?
For developers, success in the field requires dedication to training and honing skills, akin to that of an athlete. Two key factors to continually grow and develop are receiving guidance from someone more experienced in the craft and taking a balanced approach towards practice. Having a mentor to keep you on track and provide feedback on your progress is invaluable. It is also essential to be aware of the signs of burnout and take measures to prevent it from happening. With the right guidance and diligence, developers can achieve their full potential.
At Works, we offer premier senior back-end developer positions that can help you achieve your professional aspirations. We provide a platform to expand your knowledge and skills by working on complex technical and commercial problems with the latest technology. Additionally, we enable you to join an elite network of the world’s most talented developers to discover full-time and long-term remote senior back-end developer roles that offer higher remuneration and more opportunities for career growth.
Description of the Job
- Contribute to the entire lifespan of an application.
- To create robust applications, collaborate with front-end developers, testers, QA leaders, and project managers.
- Define and communicate technical and design specifications.
- Develop code that is of high quality, thoroughly tested, efficient, and reusable.
- Develop enduring and efficient web apps using clean coding principles.
- Conduct user interface testing and optimise applications to enhance performance.
- Incorporate best practices for security and data protection.
- Develop and implement efficient data storage systems.
- Offer technical leadership and guidance to junior developers throughout the development process.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering (or equivalent experience)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in back-end development is mandatory (with only few exceptions for exceptionally skilled developers).
- Proficient in diverse back-end programming languages such as Java, Python, Ruby, PHP,.NET, Golang, among others.
- Comprehensive understanding of top practices in web development.
- Familiarity with both relational and non-relational databases.
- Extensive understanding of third-party libraries and APIs.
- Experience in database integration, data transfer, transformation, and scripting is essential.
- Fluency in English is a prerequisite for effective communication.
- Work full-time (40 hours per week) with a minimum overlap of 4 hours with US time zones.
- Expertise in user authentication and authorization across various systems, servers, and configurations.
- Thorough knowledge of accessibility and security compliance.
- Familiarity with OWASP security concepts.
- Understanding of server-side CSS preprocessors such as LESS and SASS.
- Familiarity with automated testing systems and unit tests.
- Experience in designing database schemas and knowledge of code version control tools like GIT.
- Exceptional analytical, problem-solving, and time management skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal and leadership skills.