Engage Expert Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineers
An experienced Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer possesses a profound understanding of the embedded system as a whole and its individual components. They utilize this knowledge to fuse both hardware and software components in the embedded system to ensure it runs seamlessly. These engineers are frequently tasked with developing embedded software on projects. Additionally, Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineers are responsible for verifying that the software aligns with the system’s specifications, including any constraints in its architecture.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer
Due to the reduced cost of electronic manufacturing and prototyping, Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineers are currently experiencing an increased demand for their services. Moreover, this field provides numerous career progression opportunities. Embedded Engineers are instrumental to a diverse range of sectors, including Robotics, IoT, Health care, Mobile Devices and Other Consumer Electronics. It is expected that demand for these professionals will continue to thrive in the future. With Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence (AI), and Internet of Things (IoT) becoming some of the IT industry’s most sought-after skills in 2022, there is all the more reason to hire seasoned Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineers. This field offers competitive salaries, with an average yearly salary of $83,000 USD for an embedded engineer in the US, according to Glassdoor.
Responsibilities of a Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer
In my role as a Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer, I specialize in embedded operating systems, taking on various responsibilities. These responsibilities encompass software development operations, such as designing, coding, testing, and debugging software, as well as maintaining software versions and releases, and drafting system documentation. My duties may also extend to creating and managing software development plans, ensuring project deadlines are met, and providing technical support and guidance to the team.
- Our development team specializes in creating low-level software components and products, including boot, drivers, and other embedded essentials. We take security very seriously and ensure that every project satisfies stringent security requirements. We also prioritize the ability to meet real-time deadlines, as required, to ensure optimal results.
- Conducting initial testing procedures for newly created modules.
- Ongoing maintenance and management of the provided codebase.
- Regular progress updates are provided to all relevant stakeholders involved in the project.
- We specialize in designing and developing embedded device and system software right from conception, catering to the requirements of manufacturing and commercialization.
- We follow a comprehensive approach that includes creating, developing, coding, testing, and fixing software flaws in the system software.
- Reviewing and analyzing the design and code base.
- Evaluating and refining system resource productivity, reliability, and scalability.
- Integrating and testing new product concepts.
- Providing support in software testing and enhancing I/O performance.
- We provide assistance with post-production services.
- Collaborating with hardware designers and developers.
- Exploring third-party and open-source software options.
Tips for Advancing Your Career as a Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer
To establish oneself as a skilled embedded Linux software developer, a formal academic degree is not mandatory. However, having a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree preferably in computer science or related area can prove to be advantageous for individuals aspiring to become a Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer. This is because having the appropriate qualifications can enhance the understanding of computer programming, web development, and open up more employment opportunities. Apart from obtaining a degree, to become a Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer, one must have the requisite technical skills, soft skills, and hands-on experience. Additionally, honing specific skills such as strong problem-solving, analytical, and debugging skills are crucial for succeeding in this role.
Requirements for Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer
To pursue a career as a Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer, one must excel in the following skills.
CC is a structured programming language that helps in tackling complex software or hardware difficulties by breaking them down into more manageable segments. It also facilitates data transfer between different software modules. Being a general-purpose language, C is used for developing diverse applications including business software, computer games, graphics, calculations, and other areas. Moreover, it is extensively used for developing embedded systems which power devices like computers, mobile phones, and other electronic equipment.
C++C++ is a general-purpose programming language that is suitable for developing various applications such as games, software, databases, browsers, operating systems, and more. It was developed as a successor to the C programming language and supports both procedural and object-oriented programming models. Therefore, C++ serves as a fundamental language for creating a vast number of existing applications and code.
Embedded LinuxEmbedded Linux operating system/kernel is exclusively developed for deployment in embedded devices and equipment. It is a concise implementation of Linux that offers essential functionalities and services to fulfill the operational and application requirements of the embedded devices.
MicrocontrollersA microcontroller is a device that is integrated into a system to manage specific functions of the system. The microcontroller’s processor utilises the Central Processing Unit (CPU) to analyse data from Input/Output (I/O) peripherals. The CPU’s temporary information is stored in the microcontroller’s data memory, and subsequently retrieved, decoded, and executed based on the processor’s program memory instructions. Finally, the microcontroller employs its input/output peripherals to communicate and carry out the required tasks.
Multi-threaded ProgrammingThreads are autonomous units of execution within an application or process. Multithreading refers to the capability of running multiple threads concurrently within a single process. This allows for the execution of multiple threads simultaneously and facilitates resource sharing between them. Depending upon the hardware system, if each thread is assigned its own processor core, threads can run in parallel. It is similar to multitasking, where multiple tasks are performed at the same time, but more efficiently.
How to Secure Remote Work as a Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer?
To thrive as a Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer, one must practice effectively and consistently. It’s crucial to have guidance from experts and allocate ample time for practice to ensure progress. Additionally, individuals should monitor signs of burnout to prevent negative impacts. At Works, we prioritize these factors and provide excellent remote job opportunities for Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineers seeking career advancement. Our opportunities involve developing cutting-edge technology and offer a platform for constant skill enhancement. Moreover, our job offers provide higher salaries and better advancement prospects than those found elsewhere. Become a part of our community of the world’s top developers and excel in your career today!
Description of the Job
- Design, implementation, release, and maintenance of embedded software products as per specifications.
- Participate in embedded design projects from conception to completion.
- Develop tools in C/C++ and scripting languages to aid the development of embedded systems on Linux.
- Recognize various security pain points and provide implementation solutions to address them.
- Develop firmware for a specific system module and conduct engineering or system test cases.
- Analyze technical or low-level requirements specific to the domain and make modifications according to the system or end-user requirements.
- Perform software testing, including manual and automated testing to fulfill unit, functional, and system-level requirements.
- Conduct peer-review of the code in compliance with coding principles and static code analysis.
- Proper documentation of all technical deliverables is crucial. This includes software requirements, design documents, test cases and reports, code comments, release notes, and other relevant material to provide all stakeholders comprehensive and unambiguous knowledge of the project and its advancement.
- Provide technical assistance to advance the team’s efforts.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering, computer science, or information technology or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience in embedded software engineering with rare exceptions for exceptionally skilled developers is required (embedded software engineering)
- Proficiency in C or C++ programming is essential
- Familiarity with boot code, low-level OS code, device drivers, and I/O devices is necessary.
- Proficiency in computer startup, SoC bring-up, debuggers, and networking is crucial.
- Experience in FPGA, Verilog, and HDL is necessary.
- Ability to perform system-level programming in Unix and embedded Linux
- Proficient in Scripting languages like Python, Bash, Perl, TCL, and Lua
- Familiarity with the Xilinx Zynq or Altera SoC platforms is required.
- Proficiency in version control systems such as Git/SVN is necessary.
- Working knowledge of schematics and laboratory equipment is necessary.
- Experience with Linux and embedded RTOS, along with knowledge of 32-bit CPU architecture, is necessary.
- Experience and proficiency in In-Circuit Emulators and Logic Analyzers is necessary.
- Experience in product specifications, systems analysis, microprocessor-based systems, and firmware design is necessary.
- Proficiency in the English language is necessary for effective communication.
- Ability to work full-time (40 hours per week) with a 4-hour overlap with US time zones is necessary.
- Proficiency in MySQL and PostgreSQL is necessary.
- Experience in CMS or LMS development, setup, or migration is necessary.
- Exceptional debugging and problem-solving abilities are necessary.
- Excellent communication and leadership abilities are necessary.