Hire Senior Embedded Linux firmware/software Engineers
A Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer has an in-depth understanding of the entire embedded system and its components. This knowledge is applied to the process of integrating both hardware and software components in an embedded system, with the aim of ensuring that the overall system and product are functioning correctly. These engineers are often called upon to work on projects that require the development of embedded software. In addition to having a comprehensive understanding of the embedded system’s capabilities and limitations, Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineers are also responsible for validating that the software is compliant with the system’s specifications. Moreover, they are well acquainted with the architecture and any limitations of the system.
What does a Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer do?
Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineers are increasingly in demand due to the decreased cost of electronic manufacturing and prototyping. These positions present an excellent opportunity for career progression and advancement. Embedded Engineers are required in a variety of industries including but not limited to IoT, Robotics, Health Care, Mobile Devices and Other Consumer Electronics, with the demand for these positions expected to continue to grow in the foreseeable future. Furthermore, Internet of Things (IoT), Machine Learning, and Artificial Intelligence (AI) are considered amongst the most in-demand IT skills in 2022, further underpinning the need for experienced Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineers. Therefore, these positions offer a competitive salary, with Glassdoor estimating that the average annual wage for an embedded engineer in the United States is approximately $83,000 USD.
What are the duties and obligations of a Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer?
As a Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer, I specialise in embedded Linux operating systems and am responsible for overseeing the software development process. This typically involves tasks such as designing, coding, testing, and debugging software; creating system documentation; and maintaining software versions and releases. Additionally, I may also be tasked with creating and managing software development plans, ensuring project deadlines are met, and providing technical advice and support.
- We specialise in the development of low-level software components and products, such as boot, drivers, and other embedded requirements, with an emphasis on stringent security and, when necessary, the ability to meet real-time deadlines.
- Testing newly built modules.
- Maintenance of the given code.
- The numerous parties involved get regular progress updates.
- From the ground up, design and build embedded device and system software for manufacturing and commercialization.
- System software flaws must be created, developed, coded, tested, and repaired.
- Examine the code and design.
- Analyse and improve system resource productivity, reliability, and scalability.
- Integrate and put fresh product ideas to the test.
- Assist with software testing and optimising I/O performance.
- Offer to help with post-production.
- Work with hardware designers and developers.
- Look into third-party and open-source programs.
How to Advance Your Career as a Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer?
To become a professional in the field of embedded Linux software development, no academic degree is required. However, it is true that having a bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science or a related field can be beneficial for those looking to become a Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer. This is because having the correct qualifications can help with better understanding computer programming and web development, as well as making it easier to find new employment opportunities. In addition to a degree, those looking to become a Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer will need to possess relevant technical and soft skills, as well as hands-on experience. Specific abilities should also be mastered in order to be successful in such a role, including but not limited to strong problem-solving, analytical and debugging skills.
Qualifications for a Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer
If you want to work as a Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer, you’ll need to master the following abilities.
CC is a structured programming language that can be used to address complex hardware or software challenges by breaking them down into more manageable tasks. Additionally, it facilitates the transfer of data between different software elements. As a general-purpose language, C can be used to construct a wide range of applications, such as business software, computer games, graphics, calculations, and more. Furthermore, it is employed in the development of embedded systems, which are used to create products like computers, mobile phones, and other electronic devices.
C++C++ is a general-purpose programming language that can be used to develop a wide variety of applications, including games, software, databases, browsers, operating systems, and more. It was created as an extension of the C programming language, and supports both procedural and object-oriented programming paradigms. As such, C++ is a foundational language for creating countless existing applications and lines of code.
Linux EmbeddedThe Embedded Linux operating system/kernel is specifically designed for use in embedded devices and appliances. It is a highly condensed version of Linux that provides the necessary capabilities and services to meet the operating and application needs of the embedded device.
MicrocontrollersA microcontroller, which is integrated into a system, is responsible for managing a particular device’s functions. The processor of the microcontroller utilises its central processing unit (CPU) to analyse data taken from input/output (I/O) peripherals. Temporary information from the CPU is stored in the data memory of the microcontroller and is subsequently retrieved, decoded and executed in accordance with instructions from the processor’s program memory. Finally, the microcontroller uses its input/output peripherals to communicate and carry out the required action.
Programming on several threadsThreads are independent units of execution within a process or application. Multithreading is the ability to have multiple threads running within a single process concurrently. This allows for the simultaneous execution of multiple threads and enables the sharing of resources between them. Depending on the hardware, threads may run in parallel if each thread is assigned its own processor core. This is similar to multitasking in that multiple tasks can be run at the same time, albeit in a more efficient manner.
How can I get work as a Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer from home?
As a Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer, it is essential to practice effectively and consistently in order to succeed. To ensure progress is made, it is important to have the guidance of someone more knowledgeable and to dedicate sufficient time to practice. Moreover, signs of burnout should be monitored to avoid any negative effects. At Works, we understand the importance of these elements and are dedicated to providing the best remote Senior Embedded Linux Firmware/Software Engineer jobs for those looking to further their career. Our opportunities allow for the development of cutting-edge technologies and provide a platform for rapid and consistent skill improvement. Additionally, our jobs offer higher salaries and more advancement opportunities than those found elsewhere. Join our community of the world’s best developers today!
Responsibilities at work
- Specification, design, implementation, release, and maintenance of embedded software products.
- Take part in embedded design projects from idea to completion.
- Create tools in C/C++ and scripting to aid in the embedded system development process on Linux.
- Identify the numerous security pain points and identify implementation solutions to address them.
- Write firmware for a particular System module and carry out Engineering or System test cases.
- Analyse domain-specific technical or low-level requirements and make changes based on end-user or system requirements.
- Carry out software testing, covering unit, functional, and system level requirements, both manually and automatically.
- Code peer-review is carried out in accordance with coding principles and static code analysis.
- It is essential that all technical deliverables are adequately documented. This includes such items as software requirements, design documents, code comments, test cases and test reports, release notes, and any other relevant materials. This ensures that all stakeholders have access to a clear and comprehensive understanding of the project and its progress.
- Contribute to the team’s progress by providing technical help.
- Bachelor’s/degree Master’s in engineering, computer science, or information technology (or equivalent experience)
- 5+ years of expertise in embedded software engineering is required (rare exceptions for highly skilled developers)
- Expertise in C or C++
- Know your way around boot code, low-level OS code, device drivers, and IO devices.
- Knowledge of computer startup, SoC bring-up, debuggers, and networking is required.
- FPGA, Verilog, and HDL experience is required.
- System-level programming in Unix, embedded Linux.
- Scripting (Python, Bash, Perl, TCL, Lua) (Python, Bash, Perl, TCL, Lua)
- Working knowledge of the Xilinx Zynq or Altera SoC platforms.
- Knowledge of version control systems (Git/SVN) is required.
- Working understanding of schematics and laboratory equipment is required.
- Experience with Linux and embedded RTOS is required, as well as knowledge of 32-bit CPU architecture.
- Experience and knowledge of In-Circuit Emulators and Logic Analyzers.
- Product specifications, systems analysis, microprocessor-based systems, and firmware design experience are required.|
- English fluency is required for good communication.
- Work full-time (40 hours a week) with a 4-hour overlap with US time zones.
- MySQL and PostgreSQL knowledge is required.
- CMS or LMS development, setup, or migration experience.
- Excellent debugging and problem-solving abilities.
- Outstanding communication and leadership abilities.