Employ Experienced Payments Engineers
Designing, building and evaluating software programs to meet the requirements of the user is a continual process in software engineering. Depending on the organisation, industry or department, the skills of a senior software engineer can vary. Generally, senior software engineers have a breadth of knowledge across multiple areas, but also possess expert knowledge and skills in one or more specific areas, represented by a “T” shape. For complex problem-solving, it is essential that a senior software engineer is knowledgeable and experienced with the latest tools and strategies.
What Career Prospects are Available in Software Engineering?
This is an ideal time to choose a career in software engineering as it is a rapidly growing industry worldwide, providing those who hold advanced degrees with numerous job opportunities. Previously, software engineering positions were limited to larger IT companies. However, with more businesses relying on computer-driven processes, software engineers are increasingly developing, maintaining and enhancing these infrastructures, leading to a rise in job availability in various industries and locations. Despite concerns over automation and artificial intelligence, there is still high demand for creative software engineering solutions and exploration of emerging areas like voice recognition technologies, AI, software improvement and blockchain technology. Studies indicate that the need for software engineers in these areas is likely to surge in the next decade.
Responsibilities and Obligations of Senior Software Engineers
Listed below are some of the most common duties that a senior software engineer is expected to perform –
- Following the creation of scripts, integrating them with SVN for automating code tagging and construction.
- Developing new UNIX scripts and enhancing existing ones for cross-cap integration systems to improve performance and results.
- Utilize technologies such as ASP.NET to manage authentication forms.
- Administration and setup of security and networking systems.
- Transferring custom share packages to private git repositories and developing modular code that can be reused across multiple front-end projects.
- Building UI pages utilizing JSP, CSS, and HTML as styling components for establishing the testing tools interface.
- Establishing the latest security models with database roles and optimizing SQL for maximum efficiency.
What are the ways to become a senior software engineer?
To become a Senior Software Engineer, one needs to have acquired 4-10 years of relevant industry experience, with knowledge and skills gained through participation in actual software development projects. Below are the various stages of experience one needs to go through to achieve this level of expertise. A Junior Software Engineer has 0-3 years of experience and can create basic scripts while gaining awareness of application lifecycles, databases, and services. At this stage, intricacies of developing complex programs may not be familiar to the engineer. Mid/Regular Software Engineers have 2-4 years of experience and are competent in participating in a variety of software development projects. At this stage, they are proficient in every step of the development lifecycle, including analysis, design, development, implementation, documentation, and testing. Finally, Senior Software Engineers have 4-10 years of expertise and can develop complex programs. They possess in-depth knowledge of the entire application lifecycle, databases, and services, and are confident working in any aspect of the application.
Below are the necessary skills and techniques one must acquire to excel as a senior software engineer.
Requirements to become a senior software engineer
For junior developers to advance in their field, it is crucial that they first gain a comprehensive understanding of the basics. There is no one-size-fits-all model that outlines the exact knowledge and experience required by a senior software engineer. A highly proficient senior software engineer should possess a wide range of skills. Here are a few:
Evaluation skillsOne of the most crucial aspects of software development is the prevention of deployment of untested or faulty code. Hence, the ability to test and debug one’s own programs is one of the most valuable skills an individual can have. There are around ten different software assessment methods, mastering three of which can greatly impact one’s career prospects and reputation. It is essential to think logically because even a small mistake can lead to significant problems. To effectively identify the source of the issue, one must organise their thoughts, follow the process step-by-step, and trace the code back to its root.
Communication skillsBeing able to effectively communicate ideas and demonstrate persuasion skills is crucial for a senior software engineer to achieve successful outcomes. The role of a software engineer involves more than just coding; it is equally essential to collaborate and work with other members of the team to ensure the best outcomes. In the event of a complex issue, it may be helpful to explore alternative solutions and seek assistance from teammates to find innovative and effective solutions.
Organizational skillsFor a senior software developer, planning skills are crucial for delivering a high-quality product within a set timeframe. It is necessary to first understand the project’s specifications and scope, prioritize the most critical tasks, set realistic deadlines, and aim for excellence. Besides, paying close attention to detail is of paramount importance to identify even the smallest flaws.
DocumentationAs a software engineer, it is vital to ensure that the code produced is well-structured, concise, and clear. Besides, it is crucial to document your work with the new API. To enhance documentation skills, there are various methods one can implement, such as creating program flow diagrams and using ticket tracking tools like Jira. Additionally, you could learn best practices from experienced software engineers on your team who have a wealth of experience in the field.
Software Development PrinciplesSenior software engineers need to possess a wide range of skills and competencies to succeed. They should have a good understanding of design patterns that serve as a framework for developing solutions that meet a company’s business objectives. Additionally, it is vital for senior software engineers to stay updated on the latest frameworks, allowing them to evaluate if better alternatives to the current set up exist.
Where to Discover Remote Senior Software Engineer Jobs?
As Senior Software Engineers, we have a unique opportunity to develop, implement, and manage applications, systems, and platforms. We are capable of achieving the seemingly impossible, making us a highly sought-after asset in the IT industry. In this modern era, technology and smart devices have become an integral part of our lives, which is why more and more companies are seeking experienced Senior Software Developers. At Works, we offer some of the best remote Senior Software Engineer jobs where you can work on various commercial and technological challenges while also gaining hands-on experience with the latest technologies. These positions provide ample opportunities for career advancement and higher salaries. If you are looking to join a network of top developers, look no further than Works. We offer full-time, long-term remote Senior Software Engineering jobs, ensuring greater career progression and higher pay.
Description of the Job
- Collaborate with other senior team members and leaders to create, develop, and sustain the payments platform and services.
- Work alongside cross-functional teams to establish product specifications.
- Enhance engineering processes and tools to improve the efficiency and productivity of the payment solution.
- Guide junior engineers as they develop responsive, scalable, and maintainable payment sites, and conduct code reviews.
- Mentor and provide guidance to junior engineers through complex projects and solutions.
- Ensure the payment infrastructure retains optimum performance, stability, and reliability.
- Ensure the team adheres to development best practices and industry trends.
- Applicants must possess a Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering (or relevant experience).
- With rare exceptions for highly skilled engineers, candidates should have at least 5 years of software engineering experience, ideally with a payment systems focus.
- Thorough understanding of data structures, algorithms, data modelling, and schema design is essential.
- Capability in multiple high-level languages, like Java, Ruby, C++, or Go, is required.
- Sound understanding of Typescript, Node.js, and the Stripe Connect API is mandatory.
- Thorough comprehension of modern SRE/DevOps procedures and culture is necessary.
- Proficiency in building and developing data pipelines, data APIs, and tools for CI/CD, testing, and deployment is a must-have.
- Excellent communication skills in English are essential.
- Employment will be on a full-time basis (40 hours per week) and requires availability for at least 4-hour overlap with US time zones every day.
- Previous experience in the payments/commerce industry is mandatory.
- Knowledge of the AWS ecosystem is preferred.
- Having experience with multiple payment integrations is beneficial.
- Proficiency in guiding and mentoring junior engineers is required.
- Outstanding analytical, problem-solving, and team management skills are essential.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills are necessary.