Hire Senior Platform Engineers
What is platform engineering, exactly? This is a difficult question. If you asked 10 engineers the same question, you would most likely receive ten different answers. Having said that, there would very probably be many themes in common. The most common topic would most likely be the notion of bridging the gap between software and hardware. Platform engineers, in other words, make it easier for application developers to get software into the hands of consumers. This broad brush shows itself in a number of ways. Some of these strategies include standardizing an organization’s Kubernetes deployments, ensuring infrastructure is auditable, automating various deployment operations, and creating documentation for application developers.
What does a Senior Platform Engineer do?
A platform engineer is an excellent career path to choose. The position is critical to the success of all technological organizations and is projected to increase in popularity throughout time. Those interested in becoming platform engineers should familiarize themselves with the position’s qualifications. According to experts, this is a good time to get into platform engineering. The number of potential employment in the platform engineering job family will grow by 22% between 2020 and 2030, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. This growth is far more than the average expected increase in employment in other sectors. Before diving into senior platform engineer career opportunities, it’s vital to grasp the work’s needs as well as the skills needed to carry out responsibilities effectively in the sector. Learning more about platform engineering and how it connects to your professional goals will help you on your way to a career in the IT sector.
What are the duties and obligations of a Senior Platform Engineer?
The goal of a senior platform engineer job is to link a company’s hardware and software. The duty of a senior platform engineer is to ensure the integrity of the company’s infrastructure while working with other business divisions to carry out development plans. In a nutshell, they are responsible for developing a system that other development teams may use as a basis for their work. You agree to maintain and support the company’s technical systems by taking a job as a platform engineer. Some of the tasks and duties include:
- Manage database configuration and other setup operations in a range of circumstances.
- Supervise app packaging activities to guarantee quality control.
- To guarantee system security, keep infrastructure backups and vulnerability checks up to date.
- Use a resource management software and collaborate with the engineering team to find areas for improvement.
- To increase the platform’s quality, provide capacity planning and maintenance.
- Control the automatic deployment procedure. The responsibilities of a senior platform engineer should not be confused with those of a DevOps developer. In some aspects, they are similar, but not in others. Examining the areas where platform engineering and DevOps diverge may help to explain the new team’s growing popularity. For starters, the concept of DevOps predates platform engineering and has developed in lockstep with technological innovation. DevOps was first haphazard. For example, if a team inside a corporation wanted to host a new website, they needed to work with a DevOps team. Consider the notion of platform engineering. Senior Platform developers construct technologies on which teams may build. To expand on the previous example, if the same team developed a platform for website hosting, there would be no requirement for collaboration between this team and the platform engineering team.
How can I get a job as a Senior Platform Engineer?
A bachelor’s degree in a related field and some experience with large technology systems are required for the position of senior platform engineer. Many firms, like this one, have a lengthy list of specific abilities they want in different types of software engineers. Training and certification in a range of programming languages and web platforms might aid in your career search. However, most organizations are willing to be flexible on this problem if you have expertise and a willingness to learn. A profession in this field requires creativity, interpersonal skills, research talents, and the ability to program in a larger team setting. Let’s look at the skills and practices you’ll need to master in order to be a successful Senior Platform Engineer:
Qualifications for a Senior Platform Engineer
The first step is to begin learning the fundamental skills required for high-paying Senior Platform Engineer employment. Let’s go through everything you need to know!
PythonPython is a high-level general-purpose programming language that is interpreted. The use of considerable indentation in its design philosophy promotes code readability. Its language components and object-oriented approach are intended to assist programmers in writing concise, logical code for small and large-scale projects alike.
ScalaScala is a general-purpose programming language. It supports both object-oriented and functional programming paradigms in general. Scala is a sophisticated static programming language based on the Java programming language. One of the most noticeable similarities between Scala and Java is that both may be coded in the same way. Many Java libraries, as well as many third-party Scala libraries, may be utilized inside the language.
AWSAmazon Web Services (AWS) is an abbreviation for Amazon. It is a platform that provides versatile, dependable, scalable, user-friendly, and cost-effective cloud computing solutions. Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a comprehensive and user-friendly computing platform provided by Amazon. The platform is built using infrastructure as a service (IaaS), platform as a service (PaaS), and packaged software as a service (PaaS) (SaaS).
KubernetesKubernetes is a Google-developed open-source container orchestration technology that automates the deployment, scaling, and administration of containerized applications. Indeed, Kubernetes has become the de facto container orchestration standard, and it is the flagship project of the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF), which is supported by major organizations such as Google, AWS, Microsoft, IBM, Intel, Cisco, and Red Hat.
HadoopHadoop is an Apache open-source platform for storing, processing, and analyzing massive amounts of data. Hadoop is a Java-based system that is not an OLAP system (online analytical processing). It is used in batch and offline processing. Facebook, Yahoo, Google, Twitter, LinkedIn, and many other companies use it. It may also be scaled up by simply adding nodes to the cluster.
Big DataBig data refers to massive, diverse collections of data that are expanding at an exponential rate. The volume of information, the velocity or speed with which it is created and acquired, and the variety or scope of the data points covered (the “three v’s” of big data) are all factors. Data mining is widely used to generate big data, which comes in a number of forms.
DockerDocker is a Moby project component that is used to create, run, and manage containers on servers and in the cloud. Docker may refer to either the tools (commands and a daemon) or the Docker file format. You used to purchase a server, install Linux, create a LAMP stack, and execute the software to operate a web application. If your app grew famous, you implemented suitable load balancing by deploying a second server to ensure the application did not crash due to high traffic.
Where can I find remote Senior Platform Engineer jobs?
Athletes and developers have a lot in common. To succeed in their craft, they must practice effectively and on a regular basis. They must also work hard enough to gradually develop their abilities. In that view, there are two critical aspects for developers to concentrate on in order for growth to occur: the support of someone more experienced and effective in practice methods while you’re practicing. As a developer, you must know how much to practice, therefore have someone on hand to help you and watch for signs of burnout! Works offers the best remote Senior Platform engineer jobs that are a good fit for your career as a Senior Platform developer. Working on complex technical and commercial difficulties with cutting-edge technology allows you to grow swiftly. Join a network of the world’s best engineers and earn full-time, long-term remote Senior Platform engineer jobs with higher salary and promotion chances.
Responsibilities at work
- Allow customers to adapt to changing demands, enhance their user experience, and create better software solutions.
- Collaborate with a diverse team to develop real-world solutions via experimentation.
- Investigate innovative, cutting-edge technology and software products.
- Maintain all technical deliverables, including technical design specifications and configuration change documents.
- Help define end-user requirements, feature specifications, and deliverables for a certain platform.
- Engineering or computer science bachelor’s/degree master’s (or equivalent experience)
- At least 5 years of expertise in software engineering is required (rare exceptions for highly skilled developers)
- Extensive understanding of two or more current languages, such as Java/Spring, Python, GoLang, NodeJS, Groovy, C#, Scala, and others.
- Hands-on experience designing and developing APIs such as RESTful web services, HATEOAS, Microservices, and so on.
- Extensive knowledge of CI/CD technologies, philosophies, techniques, and implementation.
- Platform and system architectural expertise, including modular monoliths, SOA, and microservices.
- Strong command of the English language is required for efficient communication.
- Work full-time (40 hours a week) with a 4-hour overlap with US time zones.
- Knowledge of public cloud providers such as AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud.
- Working knowledge of data engineering and analytics tools such as Spark, Hadoop, Kafka, and Cassandra.
- Understanding of current operations practices.
- Practical experience in an agile/scrum setting.
- Interpersonal, leadership, and organizational abilities are essential.