Recruit Experienced Platform Engineers
Defining platform engineering can be challenging and the responses may differ among engineers. However, there are some common threads that link these responses. Essentially, platform engineering facilitates the connection of software and hardware development, which enables application developers to deliver their programs to users. Platform engineers achieve this through various methods such as standardizing Kubernetes configurations, ensuring traceability of infrastructure, streamlining deployment processes, and providing documentation for application creators. These efforts make the process of application development more efficient and accessible for developers. As a result, Platform engineers pave the way for successful application development.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Senior Platform Engineer
Pursuing a career in platform engineering is becoming increasingly popular in the Information Technology (IT) sector. The US Bureau of Labour Statistics predicts an impressive 22% growth potential in employment within the platform engineering job family between 2020 and 2030, which is significantly higher than the average growth rate in other sectors. Thus, there has never been a better time to consider a career in platform engineering. However, before making a commitment, it is essential to understand the qualifications and skills required for this role. Familiarising oneself with the responsibilities and capabilities associated with platform engineering, as well as aligning it with one’s professional objectives, can be beneficial for success in this field.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Senior Platform Engineer
The essential objective of a Senior Platform Engineer is to bridge the gap between a company’s hardware and software, thus ensuring the integrity of the company’s infrastructure by collaborating with other business units to execute development plans. In essence, the responsibility of Senior Platform Engineers is to set up a system that serves as a foundation for other developmental teams’ projects. Senior Platform Engineers assume the responsibility of maintaining and supporting the company’s technical systems. As a Senior Platform Engineer, the typical obligations and duties include:
- Overseeing database configuration and other setup operations in various scenarios.
- Managing app packaging activities to ensure quality control supervision.
- Maintaining up-to-date infrastructure backups and vulnerability checks to ensure system security is preserved.
- Collaborating with the engineering team and employing resource management software to identify areas for improvement.
- Provision of capacity planning and maintenance to improve the platform’s quality.
- As a Senior Platform Engineer, it is crucial to understand the distinctions between our role and that of a DevOps Developer, despite there being numerous similarities. For instance, when a team in an organization needs to host a website, they used to collaborate with a DevOps team. In contrast, Platform Engineers develop technologies upon which teams can build. If the same team had created a platform to host websites, there would be no need for them to partner with a Platform Engineering team. As technological advancements evolve, the popularity of DevOps teams increases as DevOps has been a concept in circulation for some time. It is vital to recognise the differences between our professions and those of a DevOps Developer to ensure the effective management of automated deployment procedures.
What Steps Can I Take To Become a Senior Platform Engineer?
To excel as a Senior Platform Engineer, it is usually necessary to hold a Bachelor’s degree in a related field and possess some experience working with vast technology systems. Additionally, gaining training and accreditation in various programming languages and web platforms can enhance your career opportunities. However, many companies may be flexible on this requirement if candidates have shown proficiency and a willingness to learn. Being a Senior Platform Engineer necessitates a combination of imaginative, interpersonal, and research skills, along with the ability to work effectively in a team setting. Mastery of the following skills and best practices can help you thrive in this field: [list of skills and practices]
Requirements of a Senior Platform Engineer
Before embarking on seeking employment as a Senior Platform Engineer, it is necessary to obtain the essential expertise and knowledge. Thus, it is vital to have an understanding of the fundamentals related to this profession. With that in mind, the following are the requirements that you must know to excel in this role.
PythonPython is an incredibly flexible, multipurpose programming language with a focus on readability. Its syntax aims to be user-friendly and simple to grasp, enabling developers at all stages of experience to write code that is both succinct and coherent. Python’s object-oriented method and language components make it an excellent choice for projects of all sizes, as its interpreted nature allows for faster development and testing processes.
ScalaScala is a potent programming language that supports both object-oriented and functional programming paradigms. It is a strongly and statically-typed language that is based on the Java programming language, making code written in either Java or Scala intercompatible. This feature enables easy integration of existing Java libraries and third-party Scala libraries into the language.
AWSAmazon Web Services (AWS) is an internet-based platform provided by Amazon, delivering an array of cost-effective, user-friendly, and scalable cloud computing solutions. AWS combines Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and Software as a Service (SaaS), making it easy for customers to access the services and applications necessary to fuel their businesses. Using this platform, businesses can acquire the resources, tools, and services essential to achieving success in the digital realm.
KubernetesKubernetes is an open-source container orchestration technology created by Google to enable the automatic deployment, scaling, and management of containerized applications. This technology has gained immense popularity and is now the industry’s preferred container orchestration standard. It is the main project of the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF), supported by major industry players including Google, AWS, Microsoft, IBM, Intel, Cisco, and Red Hat.
HadoopHadoop is an open-source Apache platform designed to store, process, and analyse extensive datasets. Hadoop, developed in Java, is not an OLAP (online analytical processing) system, but instead, is useful for batch and offline processing. It has been embraced by several major corporations, including Facebook, Yahoo, Google, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Furthermore, Hadoop’s scalability is remarkable, as its capabilities can be extended by simply adding more nodes to a cluster.
Big DataBig data pertains to vast, diverse collections of data that are continually growing at a staggering pace. It comprises three key elements: volume, velocity, and variety. Quantity of data gathered, speed of its production and acquisition, and the scope of the covered data points are all part of big data. Data mining is a common approach to produce big data, which can take on many forms.
DockerDocker is a part of the Moby project which provides a platform for users to design, operate, and control containers on servers and in cloud environments. It is composed of tools such as commands and a daemon, as well as the Docker file format. Previously, establishing a server for a web application required buying a server, installing a Linux operating system, configuring a LAMP stack, and running the software. However, if the application had an unexpected surge in user traffic, load balancing required additional servers to ensure the software would not crash.
Where to search for remote Senior Platform Engineer positions?
Athletes and developers share a common factor in their aspirations for excellence – their commitment to persistent and effective practice. An experienced mentor who can offer advice on the most efficient practice methods is vital for success as a developer. Engaging with Works‘ remote Senior Platform engineer opportunities offers swift career progression in solving intricate commercial and technical issues using advanced technology. Be part of a community of elite engineers and experience long-term full-time remote Senior Platform engineer roles with enhanced remuneration and promotion prospects.
- Enable customers to adjust to evolving needs, elevate their user experience, and develop superior software solutions.
- Partner with a varied team to devise practical solutions through experimentation.
- Explore modern and state-of-the-art technology and software products.
- Manage all technical outcomes, such as technical design specifications and configuration change documents.
- Aid in determining end-user conditions, feature specifications, and deliverables for a specified platform.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science (or equivalent experience)
- A minimum of 5 years of expertise in software engineering is essential (rare exceptions can be made for highly skilled developers)
- Comprehensive knowledge of two or more contemporary programming languages, such as Java/Spring, Python, GoLang, NodeJS, Groovy, C#, Scala and other similar languages.
- Practical exposure to designing and developing APIs such as RESTful web services, HATEOAS, Microservices, and similar technologies.
- Thorough understanding of CI/CD technologies, philosophies, techniques, and implementation.
- Proficiency in platform and system architecture, including modular monoliths, SOA, and microservices.
- Efficient communication necessitates a strong command of the English language.
- Work a full-time schedule (40 hours per week) with a 4-hour overlap with USA time zones.
- Familiarity with public cloud providers like AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud.
- Practical experience with data engineering and analytics tools like Spark, Hadoop, Kafka, and Cassandra.
- Comprehension of contemporary operations practices.
- Hands-on experience working in an agile/scrum environment.
- Essential qualities include interpersonal, leadership, and organisational skills.