Engage Serverless Developers
By adopting a Serverless approach, developers can bypass the inconvenience and cost of managing servers and instead concentrate on developing and operating their software and apps. The term “serverless” may sound like no servers are involved, but it actually implies that servers are no longer a core part of the application’s design and deployment.
Developers who specialise in serverless architecture are in high demand as they enable businesses to bypass the tedious task of server management. These developers may also use containers to bundle their programs for easier distribution and deployment. Implementing serverless applications can offer companies the advantage of having resources automatically scaled up or down based on their varying needs. Furthermore, a variety of public cloud providers offer serverless solutions that can be conveniently managed on an as-needed basis using an event-driven execution model. This means that businesses do not have to incur any costs for serverless operations that are not in use.
Serverless functions are invoked only when a request is made. Instead of paying a fixed amount for the upkeep of a physical or virtual server, providers only charge for the amount of computing power used. This computing model can be combined to establish a data-processing pipeline or utilised as individual modules in a larger application. Moreover, these functions can smoothly communicate with other applications running on either traditional servers or containers.
Serverless architecture enables organisations to directly deploy code to production without having to manage physical servers. This method utilises the cloud provider’s infrastructure to dynamically allocate resources as needed. Various cloud providers offer serverless architectures, including Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, and IBM Cloud. Among the available serverless computing platforms, Amazon Web Services Lambda is the most prominent. AWS Lambda has the most extensive track record and experience compared to other serverless computing platforms.
Serverless applications are particularly ideal for tasks such as chatbots, periodic tasks, and business logic that relies on incoming data streams. Developers working in a serverless environment have reported increased productivity and reduced operational costs. The use of serverless design enables dedicated server specialists to handle the routine tasks of deploying and monitoring servers, freeing up developers to focus more on their projects.
Technologies for Serverless Development
The current trend towards serverless computing allows developers to focus on writing code instead of managing servers and operating systems. Developers working in various programming languages can choose from a diverse range of frameworks. Through the use of these frameworks, developers can create applications that can scale effortlessly with their changing requirements while being user-friendly for their intended audience.
Enhancing the Existing Structure
Up is an innovative framework that facilitates the development of serverless applications with the potential for infinite scalability. It is ideal not only for dynamic web apps but also for deploying APIs and static websites, allowing developers to focus on the essential aspects of their project. Moreover, developers can use the framework of their choice, such as Django and Express, to get started.
The Jets Framework for Serverless Development
Given the popularity of Ruby, it is no surprise that Jets is the preferred framework for developers in this language. Jets incorporates API building blocks and Lambda deployment mechanisms, enabling developers to produce standalone functions for connecting AWS services and resources. The framework simplifies this process by converting existing code into functions that can be used with Amazon Web Services’ Lambda service.
Serverless has emerged as one of the most sought-after frameworks due to its name and comprehensive set of features. It has received high praise on GitHub, with close to 30,000 affirmative endorsements. Through the utilisation of event-driven microservices, developers can build programs that scale up and down based on demand and only react to clear requests. These services can also be turned off when not in use, allowing developers to save costs.
Sigma is a revolutionary and comprehensive cloud-based integrated development environment (IDE) that was created from the ground up. It offers users more than just a visually appealing text editor; rather, it permits them to write code and quickly deploy it as a web application. Except for a few limited features, the IDE can be used without requiring any server infrastructure. However, user authentication and data collection and analysis require backend infrastructure.
For more information regarding serverless development tools, Works is an excellent resource.
Companies Emphasizing on Serverless Development
In an effort to reduce expenses, companies of all sizes are increasingly exploring ways to migrate their operations to the cloud. This shift to a serverless model eliminates the requirement for physical hardware and associated maintenance costs, resulting in significant cost savings over time. As a result, there is growing demand for serverless developers who can assist businesses in making this transition.
To deliver content to billions of users, Netflix heavily relies on Amazon Web Services (AWS). Specifically, AWS Lambda is used to rapidly complete tasks that demand significant amounts of time and computing resources.
Zalora, one of Asia’s leading fashion retailers, boasts a devoted customer base of over 20 million individuals. To ensure continual access to their website and applications, Zalora depends on Amazon Web Services (AWS) and its serverless compute service, AWS Lambda, to address their scalability requirements. As a result, Zalora is able to provide their customers with seamless access to their online portfolio at all times.
Coca-Cola’s Serverless Implementation
In 2016, Coca-Cola began the process of moving to serverless computing and has now completed the complete shift to the cloud. However, they have opted to retain their legacy software by operating it on standard servers.
Generating billions of dollars in annual revenue, Shamrock is a multinational conglomerate that focuses on shipping, finance, and technology. Regarding fleet management and driver assistance, Shamrock has the necessary tools to provide essential software and tracking solutions. In 2018, the company made a bold choice to migrate to a serverless computing platform, allowing them to retire obsolete software, simplify the creation of new tools, and boost employee productivity.
Figma’s serverless design empowers designers to concentrate on their creativity rather than spending time managing their files. Figma is a cutting-edge platform that allows several users to collaborate on the same project without the need for a server. This provides teams with a productive and streamlined way of collaborating and achieving top-notch results.
Works will manage all your developer recruitment necessities, including those who work in serverless environments.
The Responsibilities of Developers in a Server-Less Environment
- To guarantee that solutions are scalable, efficient, and secure, serverless developers must collaborate to strategize and implement them.
- The development process can benefit from additional assistance, and serverless developers must contribute their efforts to expedite it.
- Serverless developers ensure compatibility with enterprise-grade cloud and on-premises infrastructure.
- Developers for serverless platforms are responsible for maintaining and managing Linux and Windows computers.
- With serverless computing, developers have complete control over every aspect of the infrastructure, from development to deployment automation, monitoring to security. This grants them the ability to guarantee their applications are functioning efficiently and securely.
- Proficient direction on developing and operating on AWS is supplied.
The Responsibilities of Developers Working in a Serverless Environment
- AWS certification
- Rigorous comprehension of serverless cloud infrastructure and Amazon Web Services.
- Mastery in comprehending event-driven designs
- Proficiency in utilizing SAM templates and relevant experience
- Acquired knowledge about SAM growth locally
- Expertise in debugging serverless components
- Proficiency in working with JSON and REST API
- Familiarity with XML/XSLT and Web Services is advantageous.
- Acquaintance with the GIT version control system
- Capability to construct and optimize SQL queries and warehouse methods
- Past experience in working with Splunk
- Understanding of relational databases (such as Oracle or SQL Server)
- Ability to efficiently switch between tasks
- Excellent abilities in identifying and resolving bugs
- Undergraduate and graduate degrees in Computer Science
- Which certifications and licenses are required for serverless development?
- Conceptualizing the goals and scope of the system for individual projects
- A thorough familiarity with current software engineering practices, processes, frameworks, and tools
- The technical expert possesses skills to assist in developing, coding, testing, and debugging applications and integrated systems
- Communicating effectively with clients and other technical team members
- Ability to grasp and apply complex concepts seamlessly
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for interacting with clients and colleagues. For tips on effective virtual collaboration tools, check out this blog post.
- The ability to make valuable contributions to a team effort
- Leadership and teamwork abilities are crucial in any workplace
- Openness to learn and apply new approaches in completing tasks
- Developers must keep up with industry developments and technology trends beyond regular tasks. Check out this blog post for insights into the growing impact of developer communities in Asia’s tech ecosystem.
- Ability to handle challenging situations and offer well-justified guidance on how to proceed
- Analytical thinking, problem-solving, and sound judgement are indispensable skills and attributes
- Flexibility to undertake any project assigned by the team leader
Expertise is Crucial to Achieve Professionalism in Serverless Development
- Utilizing and adapting APIs and microservices architecture
- Demonstrated knowledge of the latest editions of Java (versions 9.0 and above, with 11 being the most preferred)
- Inclusion of expertise and understanding in SQL, Oracle, and DB2 database development
- Familiarity with serverless architecture for developing cloud-based software
- Proficiency in Java and other programming languages such as Node JS, XML, JSON, HTML, CSS, and Python
- Expertise in integrating AWS services with an existing application and demonstrating comprehensive knowledge of the platform
- Demonstrated track record of working with enterprise-level Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud-based solutions
- Capability to develop and design cloud-based applications
- Proficiency in operational processes and continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD) tooling
- Ability to design and develop high-performance, always-available (24/7/365) environments capable of handling high volumes
- Proficiency in Agile software engineering
- Capability to supervise systems running on UNIX, Linux and Windows
- Experience with AWS security architecture and solutions is an added advantage
- Proficiency in various aspects of LAMP architecture
- Comprehensive understanding of MySQL, a relational database management system
- Prior experience in continuous integration and delivery
- Record of successfully migrating platforms and services to a serverless architecture
If your company is in need of a serverless developer, Works can provide assistance to find a suitable candidate. Our team of qualified specialists can assist you in identifying and hiring the best programmer for your requirements. Contact the Works team today and let us help you find the ideal candidate.
Organizations face challenges of recruiting qualified individuals to fill open positions, regardless of their size. As the workforce continues to globalize, managing daily activities related to recruiting and employee management such as compliance, taxes, payroll and onboarding can be a daunting task, particularly when the employees work remotely. To simplify and make the recruitment process and other HR responsibilities more effective, companies should consider using Works to streamline the process and effortlessly expand.
Works, being a local Employer of Record, offers a wide array of services such as hiring, onboarding, billing, and taxes for businesses wishing to recruit global talent. Our expertise spans across a range of industries, as specified below.
- Educational Technology
- Transportation and Logistics
- General Commerce and E-commerce